Author Topic: Is Nikon the greatest?  (Read 15985 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Is Nikon the greatest?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 12:26:21 »
Best for what? For whom? In which environmental setting?

You are new here (welcome btw), we don't know who you are let alone what kind of images you produce so these questions are meaningless without a reference.

So show us what you do with your "greatest" camera and post some images, then we can talk.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 13:33:06 »
Sorry that doesn't sound welcoming.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 3 December 2008 at 08:00
Subject: Welcome to Nikongear.com
To: xxxx@gmail.com

You are now registered with an account at Nikongear.com, dibyendumajumdar!

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 13:42:27 »
Thats the old forum....

Let me rephrase, you are more than welcome but I don't know you, either from the old or the new forum. So your questions what is best is pointless because I have no idea what your needs or capabilities are.

My only reference about you is your complaining about Nikon and that you keep repeating the "best" and "greatest" but so far the only experience I read are about the AF problems with a D4 tracking a tiny dog in the back garden.

So I ask again, please show us some of your work so we know whom we are dealing with.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 13:50:07 »
Mostly my photography is private for the family so cannot share. Here is some public stuff using D4 when I was testing the Sigma lens:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cameragossip/albums/72157639168233315

But it doesn't matter what the context is as the question was a generic one regarding Nikon.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 14:38:44 »
Anyway the real question I was asking was is Nikon the best brand? What makes a brand the best?

I feel that in recent years Nikon has lost a bit of its way. I don't really know what it stands for anymore. Earlier I used to expect Nikon to have great build quality and one of the best optics - that seemed to be where it was at, rather than being the most popular. But now, Canon is arguably better or same quality - there seems to be a lot admiration for how Canon puts together its cameras and lenses from sites such as lensrentals.com - and Canon's optics mostly perform better in all the tests.

Nikon's product development approach seems also a bit haphazard. Look at the the number of product lines it has launched in recent years and then just discarded ... they seem to give up too easily. I thought the Nikon 1 V1 was a cool camera - and yet following that each new V model seems to be an experiment ... and now with the DL line, they have killed the Nikon 1 line virtually. What about Coolpix A? Was that a one-off? And the camera with built-in projector?

Look at the Nikon Df. Why put D600 internals into a camera like Df? If it is a premium product then surely the internals must also be premium not just the shell and outward appearance?

Nikon's F3 model introduced high-eyepoint finders. Yet now Canon cameras have better viewfinder magnification and longer eyepoint - I am thinking of 1DX which has 76% magnification and 20mm eyepoint compared to 70% magnification and 18mm eyepoint in D4. The Df which is supposedly meant to be used with Nikon's older manual lenses has a magnification of 70% and eyepoint of 15mm. Eyepoint and viewfinder magnification matter a lot to someone like me who wears glasses.

The individual cases are not relevant here - I could quote a variety of other examples (e.g. why does the Otus have better coma correction than the supposedly 'Noct' Nikor 58mm f1.4?). My question really is - can one argue that Nikon is the best brand, by some definition of best?

Regards
Dibyendu

Welcome to the new NikonGear! I don't remeber you from the old site,,,
We have an introduction section somwhere ;)

Choose a brand that fits your purpose but first understand that this is not a numbers game at all!

I read the Lensretals blog and I don't see this difference between Canon and Nikon lenses, you state best - best is not always the highest number; best is the most pleasing image I hope, not the images shot with the highes number.

I also don't understand all these little Nikon 1 etc. and why they bother making them,,, Back to that later.

The Df was designed with light weight in mind, sure it could have been designed more study - the Df II might be that but then it's another design criteria,,,

Your number game again with the viewfinders show you don't really understand the background - higher is not better! Anyone who has shot a MF lens with a Df would know that.

Re 58mm 1.4 AFS G also 35mm 1.4 AFS G they where designed with a 'balanced' optical design and image performance - The optices are on purpose left with abrations to keep the IQ in the out of focus transitions as soft and pleasent as possible while at the same time having plenty of sharpness - It's a clear and stated goal for these Nikkor lenses. Loads of character,,,

The coma correction is high in the 58mm 1.4 AFS G, compared with many other fast lenses and it is plenty good enough corrected IMHO (Plese show an image where it matters- makes a difference)

Different tools for different purposes!

The Otus series are designed for crispness and corrected - lack of character,,,

Your statement you cant make AF images of your dog with D4 is mind boggeling to me since I would bet that you could with a Nikon 1,,,, Since they have much more depth of field - DOF is also not a number thing ;)
Erik Lund

bjornthun

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 14:56:43 »
Lenses last longer than camera bodies these days, and they say "diamonds are forever". I think that what really makes for greatness in any brand are the lenses, and all brands have some of those special lenses.  8)

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 15:12:45 »
Hi Eric,

Thank you for the nice welcome! I am a bit self conscious about the Intro thing so have never bothered with it.

I was in fact looking for some of your lens dissections to compare with the lensrentals disassembly of Canon lenses - would you post links to these as I cannot find them on the old site.

I normally do not post unless I have something worthwhile to say or a question to ask. Right now I have a D5 on order but am having doubts about whether to stay with Nikon, so it helps to hear views on why Nikon is still the greatest!

Re the number game - I have not tried the Df, but I know from comparing say the F6 to D4, that the D4 isn't as good as F6, and partly it has to do with viewfinder magnification. My FM2 has the loveliest view but the eyepoint is so poor that I can't see the full screen. In summary it is not about numbers but actual experience - but numbers do tend to agree with experience.

Regards

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 15:26:40 »
I don't have an overview of the lenses I have worked on, usually I only open lenses to make them work again ;) If you have specific requests I can see what I can do - Just ask in the Lens section We have many talented DIY people here!
Erik Lund

jknights

• NG Member
  • Still learning after all these years!
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 16:33:08 »
Are you asking me?
I have been using Nikon gear since my Nikkormat FT in 1973.
I think I am somewhat biased.

BTW.
I also use Fuji X series cameras and they are very good but the AF is terrible for moving objects and especially in low light.  However the IQ is very good and is probably just as good as my D3 or D3S but not so good as the D800 or D600.

I have just ordered a D500. 

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 17:07:21 »
Mostly my photography is private for the family so cannot share. Here is some public stuff using D4 when I was testing the Sigma lens:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cameragossip/albums/72157639168233315

But it doesn't matter what the context is as the question was a generic one regarding Nikon.
Thanks Dibyendu, now we know which little rascal can outrun the D4 AF ;D

His color is in the same grey range as grass in the shade so this might explain why the AF couldn't track it properly as it needs contrast to work properly.

The other images show you like shooting in low light, like me. If so this means you should have a camera like the D4 which can work under these conditions, both in AF and and in high ISO performance. So a camera can have the best viewfinder specs but if it can't perform in those conditions it's useless for your use.

I have experienced this as well with my move to the Sony A7s, for me this was the best camera for my needs which is using fast manual focus lenses with different mounts in low light conditions.

But now that I moved to AF with my main 35mm lens I'm experiencing horrible AF performance in low light conditions due to the lack of phase detect AF. So the a7S can no longer be used for my main lens, so for that reason alone I've ordered the A7RII which has 399 phase detect sensors and a very fast AF in all light conditions so should be able to make my Sony Zeiss 35/1.4 FE shine as its supposed to shine in AF performance and IQ (42MP with good ISO performance).
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 17:35:06 »
What did Ansel Adams say about the 12 inches behind the camera?  It is totally amazing what you can do with the same old gear and a lot of photographer improvement.

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 17:54:24 »
Thanks Dibyendu, now we know which little rascal can outrun the D4 AF ;D

His color is in the same grey range as grass in the shade so this might explain why the AF couldn't track it properly as it needs contrast to work properly.

The other images show you like shooting in low light, like me. If so this means you should have a camera like the D4 which can work under these conditions, both in AF and and in high ISO performance. So a camera can have the best viewfinder specs but if it can't perform in those conditions it's useless for your use.

I have experienced this as well with my move to the Sony A7s, for me this was the best camera for my needs which is using fast manual focus lenses with different mounts in low light conditions.

But now that I moved to AF with my main 35mm lens I'm experiencing horrible AF performance in low light conditions due to the lack of phase detect AF. So the a7S can no longer be used for my main lens, so for that reason alone I've ordered the A7RII which has 399 phase detect sensors and a very fast AF in all light conditions so should be able to make my Sony Zeiss 35/1.4 FE shine as its supposed to shine in AF performance and IQ (42MP with good ISO performance).

Hi Jan,

Re the dog being the same grey range as grass - I suppose you are correct but shouldn't the D4's ability to detect colour help disambiguate?

I do like photography in low light, so yes that was a big reason why I chose D4 in the first place. Plus the resolution was in the range I preferred (true also for D5).
I have considered Sony (own a NEX-5N) but I would probably go for Leica M instead as I still want a real viewfinder not an electronic one. So one option I have been considering is a combination of D750 and Leica M262 - the former for situations where I just need to get the shot, and latter when I just want to take pictures for pleasure.

But the D5 is still on order so have to decide soon once it becomes available.

Regards
Dibyendu

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 18:40:21 »

BTW the other reason why I haven't opted for Sony is that it doesn't handle manual rangefinder lenses very well as tests done by Sean Reid show. You need the Leica M to get good performance right to the edges.

Regards
Dibyendu

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 19:07:45 »
As regards focus tracking:  Sometime... if you haven't already.... try manual focus with tracking subjects.  A certain number of shots will be totally out of focus, but a certain number will be good, and...you did it, not the machine.  If the camera operators on sports games on TV can do it, you can also.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

bjornthun

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 19:20:44 »
As regards focus tracking:  Sometime... if you haven't already.... try manual focus with tracking subjects.  A certain number of shots will be totally out of focus, but a certain number will be good, and...you did it, not the machine.  If the camera operators on sports games on TV can do it, you can also.
Those video cameras have focus system designed for focus tracking, and they use electronic viewfinders/screens that may offer focus peaking, unlike a DSLR.