Author Topic: Nikkor 300mm F4 PF lens  (Read 21392 times)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
Re: Nikkor 300mm F4 PF lens
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 10:42:01 »
Tried this with the RRS-collar and it works much better, thanks.  :)
Chris Dees

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 11:36:42 »
One more pic, to test the link with onedrive (M$ cloud "solutions")

<just does not work>
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 11:46:52 »
A bit problematic for working against the light, but not badly. Note that the blueish haze partially came from the light from a clear window in my back.
As usual, shot with the VR special setting : manual mode, 1/30s imposed speed, f/5.6, autoISO = 720 then.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 11:49:50 »
Otherwise an outstanding portrait lens.
Airy Magnien

Mike G

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 12:42:08 »
Two flags on my river cruise ship!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2015, 17:01:24 »
Airy. The colour versions of the two are amazing!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 17:26:02 »
indeed: faces benefit from good sharpness and relatively low contrast, while backgrounds benefit from excellent smooth bokeh, plus the absence of obvious chromatic aberrations. This 300pf has become my favorite fm portrait lens, whenever I can step back...
Airy Magnien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 13:08:13 »

I am really enjoying te 300mm PF  for it's size, performance at wide apertures, and the virtually complete lack of longitudinal CA/purple fringing in highlights is a real treat. Here are a few recent examples of the closer kind, all on the D5100. Balance on this lightweight body is pretty acceptable opposed to my old AF 300mm f/4.  VR was on in all of these. First some high contrast examples with lots of highlights:

#1 @ f/4.5, 1/500 sec.

#2 @ f/5, 1/640 sec.

#3 @ f/5.6, 1/250 sec.

Then time for some local wildlife. I do not know what this squirrel was doing on my roof with a piece of carrot; I am definitely not feeding wildlife (except when we bait traps for Arctic ground squirrels in the field for scientific studies). This was captured in rather grey, rainy type of weather.
#4 @ f/4,  1/160 sec.

#5 @ f/4 1/125 sec.

Normally it is pretty skittish while I am outside, however this time curiosity took over to see what this new lens was about:
#6 @ f/4.5 1/320

#7 @ f/4.5, 1/200 sec

Posing for the new lens:
#8 @ f/4.5,  1/320 sec.

More timid again, hiding safe in the branches of a tree. This is a crop of slightly more than half the height of a horizontal frame:
#9 @ f/4.5, 1/320 sec.

Some examples of infinity performance on the Nikon 1 AW1 can be found the moon thread: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1867.0.html
Øivind Tøien

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 19:44:15 »
Very nice! I especially love #1 and #2. This lens is on my bucket list  ;D
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 14:22:41 »
Thanks for the comment, Wally.
I think the lens has a wonderful resolution, and my copy seems to be very well centered. It is considerably better than my copy of the AF 300mm/4 ED (non-AFS), and in particular wide open and close up, which was a pleasant surprise. If set at it's minimum focus I can also get excellent results with my PN-11 extension tube, then only wide open due to the electronic aperture of the 300PF. General contrast at infinity seems to be about the same between these two lenses.

I was struggling a bit with the performance with TC-14E (I), however once I discovered some flaws in my tripod technique with D5100, it became clear that it resolves very well even then (much better than with the old AF 300/4) and most of the improvement occurs at only 1/3-2/3 stop down from wide open. Instead of the RT-1 i bought a Vello collar for it that is almost an exact copy at less than 1/3 of the price. It is quite well made made; if anything I could wish it to clamp a little tighter. I think it will be easy to modify it a little to do so if necessary. In spite of the short length and light weight of the 300PF one need to be careful with this lens, due to the low inertia on a light body. I found that trampling the ground 5m away from the tripod (Gitzo 120 w/BH40 head) was enough to cause a severe shake on a zoomed in live view screen.  Shooting without mirror lockup in the critical range of 1/4 to 1/30 sec. or so did not give optimal results, and applying the equivalent of a "wine cork" between the lens and the mount does not improve results in this non-optimal situation so it does not look like the tripod mount is the weak point. (I did perform my first tests from live view but there was a too short exposure delay - all my 3 remotes broken...). Even combining TC-14E with the PN-11 for a 38mm wide field of view on a DX sensor gives very good results.

A very nice surprise was that autofocus seems to be right on with my D40x- IR720 body that has Lifepixel standard calibration (for the 18-70mm DX lens). With my old AF 300/4 i had to focus manually, and then do small visual defocus towards close range; I lost many captures over time when I forgot to do this.

As E-aperture is not supported on D40x (or my D200) the 300 PF can only be used wide open. Performance is so excellent that this is not a problem except when more depth of field is needed. Here are a couple of near visible infrared examples of long distance performance. The full frame is available for the first two if opened in a new tab. (As usual with IR captures, contrast was increased during post processing).

The Cold Climate Housing Research Center at University of Alaska Fairbanks.

The 300 PF can show some nice IR flares likely related to the PF element, under the right conditions when there is extreme overexposure of highlights:

No problems with the high contrast in this IR capture though:

Øivind Tøien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 14:55:26 »
The last one is wonderful, Øivind, and indeed shows the strength of the 300 PF. Properly used it is a highly useful addition to the line-up of long Nikkors.

The highlight flare behaviour of the 300 PF is very different to "normal" refractive optics and I have observed (and used to good effect) the almost Kodak HIE-like flaring of strong light sources for my IR photography too.

By the way, on my Sachtler tripods, the native RT-1 collar is supportive enough. You are right about the issues caused by light weight, though. People need to be aware of the inherent pitfalls there.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 21:05:10 »
The last shot is truly amazing.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 21:24:35 »
Yes, stunning !!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 09:06:46 »
Last shot is amazing!
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 10:58:43 »
Thanks for the kind comments all of you. It is funny how what is initially going to be a test shot can work out. Bjørn, I certainly agree that the 300 PF has character. That tiny bit of flare can create a nice but subtle dreamy effect under the right conditions.

Regarding the extremely blown highlights in visible range and mostly night shots, I am seeing a bit more of the PF flare than I expected from the sample images Nikon presented. However it is very dependent on the wavelength of the light. The red end of the spectrum just shows normal flare that can occur with another lens, while the blue end (and thereby white light) can manifest the typical widened blue-green circles, and in very extreme cases some of the "newton rings".

Further experiences: To avoid flooding this thread with more squirrel images   ;D  I have started a new squirrel thread here: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1909.msg21239.html#msg21239
 The last image there was captured with TC-14E. I do see a tendency for under exposure with the TC (possibly 2/3 stop, but depends on subject), which together with the lower contrast can cause one to initially not feel so good about the captures, but looks a lot better when corrected.
Øivind Tøien