Author Topic: AF- S 400 2.8 D (non VR, first edition)  (Read 7711 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: AF- S 400 2.8 D (non VR, first edition)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 10:42:16 »
Well that sounds like a very nice finding  :D
Wolfgang Rehm

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 21:38:17 »
I don't disagree at all and sometimes the Mothership can provide real surprises. The point is that they don't throw away the spare parts after the 10 year period, they sell out. Thus, I once was able to get - from Nikon Japan - the eyepiece ocular lens for a finder to the 2.1 cm Nikkor-O f/4, a lens discontinued in the '60s ... Arrived in a nicely wrapping with specifications hand-written to it (this obviously had been in store much earlier than the bar coding system).

Good points, Bjørn, that helped me decide to buy the sample. Of course it also helped that the lens is in outstanding condition  :). Also bought a Wimberly tripod foot for the lens.

The softness went away with a fine tuning value of +8. I might send it to Fotocare in Oslo for an adjustment together with my cameras (or can you "live with" a lens needing this level of fine tuning?).

Thank you all for your response!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 21:44:04 »
Now, all that remains is putting the lens to good use :D Don't forget to show us what your new possession can deliver in terms of images and image quality.

Sometimes I wish I had tremendous need for such a lens myself, but to be honest I haven't. So sold my own 400/2.8 years ago while there was money to be had for it. The 400/3.5 or f/5.6 versions will do. I don't shoot wildlife and that helps cut down on the lust for long glass (perhaps, or I'm telling a fairy tale).

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 21:50:37 »
Now, all that remains is putting the lens to good use :D Don't forget to show us what your new possession can deliver in terms of images and image quality.

Sometimes I wish I had tremendous need for such a lens myself, but to be honest I haven't. So sold my own 400/2.8 years ago while there was money to be had for it. The 400/3.5 or f/5.6 versions will do. I don't shoot wildlife and that helps cut down on the lust for long glass (perhaps, or I'm telling a fairy tale).

Will do, Bjørn  :).

For my kind of photographing I always ended up cropping due to too short reach, so hopefully my need for cropping will go down.....

Once again, thank you  :)

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 22:11:15 »
Congrats Frode!
Enjoy your latest addition - of course we would welcome some nice images,
All the best,
Andy

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 22:22:21 »
Congrats Frode!
Enjoy your latest addition - of course we would welcome some nice images,
All the best,
Andy

Thank you!

I´ll try to post some pictures in a while :).

Thank you for your help, Andy!

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 22:26:17 »
Another thing, what about weather sealing:

Trying to locate some information about the degree of weather sealing this lens has (compared to the newer ones regarding water/dust) - anyone?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 22:30:10 »
Enjoy it! ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2016, 22:32:36 »
If it has an aperture ring the water can come in that way, but I would not worry ;)

I have shot my 300mm 2.8 AFS Mark I in rain on a mountain side without any problems, I was soaked however,,,  ::)
Erik Lund

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 22:37:11 »
If it has an aperture ring the water can come in that way, but I would worry ;)

I have shot my 300mm 2.8 AFS Mark I in rain on a mountain side without any problems, I was soaked however,,,  ::)

Yes, you´re probably right, Erik; normal use and carefulness will do the trick. As always  ;D.

Thank you for your help!