Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

cleaning the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S!

(1/1)

richardHaw:
http://richardhaw.com/2016/02/15/repair-nikkor-50mm-f1-8-ai-s/

Hello! Just posted my latest tear down, the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S!

Bjørn Rørslett:
Again, thanks for your 'tear-down' report, Rick ... most useful.

I noticed this was for the short-nose version of the 50/1.8 AIS. My favourite is the first generation of the long-nose AIS (s.n. 3xxyyyy), mostly because it is taller and hence much easier to use in the field. My sample has very light and precise focusing operation.  Any idea of the inside difference between these?

richardHaw:
Thanks!!!

I am not so sure, but judging from the Nikkor-S 1.8 version (non-Ai) this short nosed version is too cramped. the inner helicoid also has 2 slots in it which can affect the focusing action. this was necessary to keep the lens small. i also noticed that this one was tight on the minimum focus distance and lightens up half way. i suspect that this is due to the 2 small helicoid keys keeping the focus tight and once the 2 keys has slid through the slots then the focusing then becomes smooth. the GN also has the same tendency but it was designed to be like that it the first place. The GN is a very interesting lens to work with and it has no equivalent in terms of engineering in the Nikkor lineup  :o :o :o that is why i suspect that this lens was made by voigtlander as the construction and overall scheme reminds me of voigtlander's techniques hood is also voigtlander like).  the latest 45mm was from voigtlander by the way  :o :o :o

the previous version (the one that you have) and the f/2 versions are considered to be classics and many people even state that they surpass the 50mm f/1.4, which i agree on certain aspects but the 1.4 renders things totally differently owing to the fact that the field curvature is so high you can get pin point focus with that lens. this lens, not so much

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version