Author Topic: Greetings! I am the junk scavenger from Tokyo!  (Read 10024 times)

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Greetings! I am the junk scavenger from Tokyo!
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 01:20:22 »
Hi, Rick, nice to have yet another guy living in Tokyo here!  Thanks for sharing your interesting blog!

We have another member living in Tokyo (Mikes) and some others who visit Tokyo occasionally.  Would be nice to have some NG meeting in Tokyo with you.  :)

Yes, that would be nice - good suggestion, Akira.

I have noticed that one or two of the well regarded camera shops in Tokyo (for example, Mapcamera) seem to get regularly cleaned out of their quality second hand lens offerings - I suspect by individual sellers who then resell them at higher prices over ebay (as well as buyers from overseas retailers). Annoying!

Mike Selby - Sydney

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:52 »
Yes, that would be nice - good suggestion, Akira.

I have noticed that one or two of the well regarded camera shops in Tokyo (for example, Mapcamera) seem to get regularly cleaned out of their quality second hand lens offerings - I suspect by individual sellers who then resell them at higher prices over ebay (as well as buyers from overseas retailers). Annoying!

i doubt that it because MAP is pricey  :o :o :o they serve as the benchmark for used lenses as far as pricing goes...
the people who buy them are mainland chinese tourists. i have seen that many times, where a small group would fill a suitcase full of camera stuff  :o :o :o
the sellers are probably the same rats in Yahoo! Auctions. it is rare to find an honest seller there, always some problems.  >:( >:( >:(
fujiya used to be awesome, now it's pathetic. i live close to Nakano and i can bike there if i wanted to or get groceries with my baby there but I just skip it...

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 01:32:51 »
BIG welcome to the site from Mongo , Richard. You are after Mongo's own heart. Love your site and the useful and interesting things you get up to. Also, thanks for your kind offer to assist where possible. Look forward to your posts.

PS - Mongo absolutely loved his visit to shinjuku (and Japan generally) last year.

regards  from

Mongo

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 01:41:09 »
BIG welcome to the site from Mongo , Richard. You are after Mongo's own heart. Love your site and the useful and interesting things you get up to. Also, thanks for your kind offer to assist where possible. Look forward to your posts.

PS - Mongo absolutely loved his visit to shinjuku (and Japan generally) last year.

regards  from

Mongo

awesome, Mongo! nikkors generally get sold really quick in the junk section but once in a while you can still find some lenses for parts  :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 02:10:00 »
Rick, I wouldn't be surprised that you have already had an extensive experiences with the shops in Shinjuku area.  :D

Looking forward to further interactions with you both here and in Tokyo.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 02:16:12 »
Rick, I wouldn't be surprised that you have already had an extensive experiences with the shops in Shinjuku area.  :D

Looking forward to further interactions with you both here and in Tokyo.  :)
sure!  :o :o :o let's go to the shops where nobody usually goes

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 07:38:09 »
Welcome Richard, looking forward to seeing more from you. Your site looks very rich in info!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 07:50:38 »
Welcome Richard, looking forward to seeing more from you. Your site looks very rich in info!
Thank you, Olivier! I am going to post another teardown tonight.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 08:57:14 »
Welcome to NikonGear - I am convinced you will find many a person here which shares your interest  - even if only by reading about it.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 09:09:18 »
Welcome to NikonGear - I am convinced you will find many a person here which shares your interest  - even if only by reading about it.

Thank you Elsa! i already feel at home.  :o :o :o

lots of quality posts and information here as compared to other places. you are sure to get the right answer or any useful opinions here.

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 10:08:38 »
Hi Richard
                Your website is spot on and very timely for me. I have a small amount of spores on a 85mm lens.
I damaged a few screw heads in the past on the rear collar when fitting a CPU to a 300mm.
My chosen method to free the screws now, is to apply a little heat, in a controlled manner with the aid of a soldering iron. I have a 8W USB that cost a few dollars from a Hong Kong Supplier.
Hope this may be of use to your hobby.

John 
John Gallagher

tdoan

• NG Member
  • From the land of Happiness
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 18:17:36 »
Hi Rick,

I've only been here a few hours and already I've experienced envy ... how do I move those

junk nikkors in the junk section of the camera shops
to near me so I can casually stroll by pick up a 75-150 ???;D ;D

On the more serious note, I found your blog through here (2nd benefit from NG) and love it, the topics, the level of details, ...

Please don't change and here's to hoping you find more gems so we can learn from your experience.

Have a nice day Rick. :)
Tien Doan