Author Topic: Hello from Detroit, Michigan USA  (Read 2375 times)

Nick Scavone

• NG Member
    • Nick Scavone Photography
Hello from Detroit, Michigan USA
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:01:28 »
When not working (I am a commercial real estate attorney) or golfing, I spend much of my time with landscape, architecture and travel photography, and photographing my family. I am a student of the craft (the books of Ansel Adams and John Shaw were particularly helpful), an admirer of fine art photography, and also an avid collector of fine art photography books.

I began my photography with a Canon film Rebel SLR body (perhaps a film point and shoot before that). My digital photography began with a Nikon 5700. I then made the progression with DSLRs from D70 to D200 to D700 to D800 and recently upgraded to the D810 (the D810 is a remarkable camera, much better than the D800 in my view). I have collected a number of Nikkor SLR lenses over the years, including many of the classic Nikkors. My lens choices have been guided based in large part on Bjorn's excellent and comprehensive original website with the famed reviews and "best of them all," but also his more recent posts/reviews on fotozones and advise of others including Thom Hogan and Lloyd Chambers. I now also have many of the latest G lenses.

I was a nikongear.com member, and am thrilled to see its revival here (I was sorry to see the decline of fotozones and curious why I saw no recent posts from Bjorn on fotozones--this website explains much). I have followed Bjorn for many years (thank you for inspiring me Bjorn), and now many others as well (Erik Lund, Michael Erlewine, Stren, Andrea and others). I am excited about the prospects for this site, and hope to contribute more.

You can see some of my work on my Zenfolio site in the Public Folder -- http://nickscavone.zenfolio.com/

Cheers,

Nick Scavone
Detroit, Michigan USA

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Hello from Detroit, Michigan USA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:30:53 »
Welcome to the forum Nick.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 08:36:00 »
Welcome. Good to see you.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 20:34:18 »
welcome
Thomas Stellwag

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:15:02 »
welcome Nick!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 14:30:55 »
Welcome Nick, looking forward to seeing your shots. I'm thinking there must be a lot of interesting places in Detroit to shoot?
Jørgen Ramskov

Nick Scavone

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 19:49:41 »
My sincere apologies for not thanking everyone for the warm welcome. I've been posting a bit more of late, but never thought to use the "Show new replies" link until now.

Jørgen, yes Detroit is quite a place. The city has many photographic opportunities, but not surprisingly some places can be a challenge to photograph safely. I live in the suburbs of Detroit but work downtown. I tend not to shoot street photography (mostly landscapes and family photos), but I plan to do more shooting in Detroit this year.  Will post when I can.

Cheers,

Nick

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 09:47:54 »
Welcome Nick! Some really nice images on your site! Looking forward to more ;)
Erik Lund

Nick Scavone

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 03:51:18 »
Erik,

Thanks very much for your kind words. I've been a fan of yours (along with a number of others including Bjorn of course) for some time. Looking forward to spending more time posting on Nikongear.

Cheers,

Nick

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 09:48:16 »
Welcome "back", Nick!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira