Gear Talk > Lens Talk

The classic Nikkors: 28 mm f/2

(1/35) > >>

Bjørn Rørslett:
Once in a while, it can be beneficial and soothing to one's mind to see what could be achieved with the old Nikkors back in the stone age days before plastics, AF, and cheap designs entered the scene.

I invite anyone using or having used any of the 28/2 Nikkors (pre-AI, AI, AIS) to show some examples of what the lens could deliver. Your thought around that lens are of course most welcome as well.

I like this kind of lens because it is neat, handles well, doesn't create much of a lens flare issue on its own, and can focus quite close. You thus can use the wide angle character of forcing yourself (and the viewer) into the scene so as to create more intimacy, whilst at the same time being able to capture the ambience of the main subject.

Minimal Impact

Akira:
After you let me try your chipped Ai28/2.0, I decided to buy one for me.  I've used my Ais version (the last one with the super integrated coatings) only with the lowly D40, but the flare/ghost control was excellent.

Bjørn Rørslett:
Don't look down on the D40 or even more so, on the D40x. They are great cameras. Surprisingly robust as well - my D40X has survived ordeals known to knock other makes unconscious :D

Akira:
Actually, my memories with D40 are rather pleasing.  :)  It was an excellent "entry model" in the true sense of the word thanks to its UV-VIS-IR capability without modification.

I still adore the look of CCD images, and even now I sometimes want to purchase D60 or D3000.  My eyes was not as deteriorated as now, so the manual focusing on its tiny screen with this short lens was of no problem.   :'(

John Geerts:
I have the pre-AI version and like the lens a lot. It has a complete different character as the 1.8G, smoother bokey, and the advantages as Bjørn describes in the opening post.

Here wide open at a Military Veterans-day. Love it how the background is built up.

D700

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version