Author Topic: Time lapse or video?  (Read 4266 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Time lapse or video?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 16:10:06 »
I would say the answer depends on what you are you recording ...

Are there continuous  changes that  can be captured in a short  video ? Animals, people, water moving ?

Or the changes take a long time and you want to speed them up with a time lapse ? Clouds moving, light changes ...
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 17:14:49 »
Each one has its own application that it is suited for
My question really was about the "wear and tear" aspect- but I found some valuable info in your answers

Peter - I only found the time lapse thingie now - as I have NEVER been interested in video/time lapse before. However I now found a use for it - I will do it - as long as I dont have to get involved in the editing aspect  ;D ;D
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 11:04:58 »
Elsa, the editing is actually not too bad, although very computer-resource dependent.

The program I mentioned before (LRTimelapse) looks at the photos you load, then identifies a number of key-frames. How many depends on how smoothly the exposure changes were made, but usually it's from two to 5 images.

You then import the images into Lightroom and only edit the key-frames (LRT assigns filters which work inLightroom to easily identify which photos should be edited). It pre-loads a few graduated filters and a radial filter, which you can manipulate as you desire (or ignore if not required), and you can do normal adjustments with the sliders and so forth.

You then copy the adjustments to the next key-frame, and fine-tune it's adjustments as you prefer, continuing this process until all key-frames have been edited, and export the changes.

LRT then copies those alterations to the whole series, automatically altering them as required. After this you export metadata to Lightroom, from where you export the photos and generate the video.

So in the end you edit 2-5 photos, and LRT copies the changes to all the others incrementally. So while the whole process may take a couple of hours, you only need to be physically involved for 15-20minutes.

LRTimelapse is available as freeware, but is then limited to videos of a certain length (I think 350 images), or an unlimited version can be purchased.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 11:19:13 »
Thank you Peter - I have a lot to learn yet about time lapse and video editing. I have a feeling I will go for Video right now. One step at a time
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za