Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Changing Camera System

(1/16) > >>

Mike G:
Hello all, for some time(over the last 18 months) I have been considering a move from The Nikon system mainly due to the bulk of the lenses and system constraints and so I'm investigating the Fujifilm system via an X-T1 and 18-55mm lens!
I did think maybe that the Df might be a way to go, but of course that still leaves me with big bulky lenses! It will be a wrench to leave Nikon after over twenty years, but the time has come to radically rethink what I want and my D810 although a fine fine camera, do I really need 36 MP, I think maybe not!

So the diminutive X-T1 is in the mixing pot for consideration. Initial thoughts are what a super little machine it is, first tries make me very pleased with the output. Another plus is that Fujifilm stuff does not attract the premium prices that Nikon gear does.

After a very short rummage around it is quite amazing how many Nikon bits and pieces I had accumulated over the years( I would hate to have to move house anytime soon!)

For those who have a read thank you, more to follow!

Bjørn Rørslett:
Before committing yourself to any final decision, do allow yourself the advantage of shooting both systems concurrently. You might see the situation clearer after a while. Only comprehensive shooting experience in practice will tell you how well the new (or old) system really handles.

Longer lenses, or those sporting a fast aperture, tend to be bulky and expensive no matter what format they are designed for.

Most uses of the acquired footage will not require massive MP numbers. Occasionally, having them is a blessing.

Fons Baerken:
How about Oly faster af than Fuji, Mike, good luck on your voyage anyhow! :)

Erik Lund:
The size of the lenses is a choice you make, If you stick to 'slow' fixed focal length f/1.8 or zoom lenses f/3.5 f/4 etc. you can keep them small even Nikkors in F mount are small, but as soon as you want fast glass or Pro glass they start to become larger and larger,,, except for the Leica M lenses, they are tiny :)

Mike G:
Bjorn yes I am shooting with both systems in parallel, not sure what you mean by "acquired footage"? I have had a tinker with the Df, fine camera but same lenses! Of course longer faster lenses do mean big and bulky, but I have found that I leave stuff at home because I don't want to carry it about(non driver) High MP figures do give the ability to crop and recompose, I understand that and have taken advantage of that quite a lot, but the extra baggage for that exercise is just too much! and my shoulders are not getting any younger.

Fons, I'm afraid that Olympus and I are destined to be strangers, never liked their gear al the way back to the 1960s, so I'm afraid that ain't happening. But thanks for the comment.

Thanks for the support!

Thanks Erik, that is exactly my problem the big bits of glass that I've bought because I thought that's what I wanted. Hence the time for a reappraisal. I have a couple of fixed lenses 35, 50, and 105 micro, but I end up not using them because a zoom is just that bit more versatile!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version