Author Topic: In Homage to Nikon Gear ...  (Read 14530 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: In Homage to Nikon Gear ...
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 23:51:19 »
... You playing tri-x on us!

LOL (Tri-X was free.)

"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 13:45:49 »
Since I am at least half  everyone else's age  :P :P (if you believe that, you will believe anything)  - I am not as familiar with film (and Tri-X)  photos as the rest of you. I only know digital - sharp, clean, etc - but these image as SO much better than digital! I can't imagine one can get this  with digital? It's in a different class altogether. There have been numerous discussions about Digital vs film - specifically in Black and White stuff - and nothing speaks louder to me than your images - proof is in the pudding.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 17:41:13 »
Since I am at least half  everyone else's age  :P :P (if you believe that, you will believe anything)  - I am not as familiar with film (and Tri-X)  photos as the rest of you. I only know digital - sharp, clean, etc - but these image as SO much better than digital! I can't imagine one can get this  with digital? It's in a different class altogether. There have been numerous discussions about Digital vs film - specifically in Black and White stuff - and nothing speaks louder to me than your images - proof is in the pudding.

I've never spent any time comparing and studying the two. On technical issues I'm the last guy you want an opinion ... but after reading your post and looking at the images ... I think that digital represents how we want to see and film shows what we can see. If that makes any sense.

G

Nikon FTn w/Nikkor 85mm, Tri-X
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 18:49:00 »
Gary - my first reaction was no - but I think there is some truth in that than we want to admit - in a round about way.
If I have to "label" myself - it would be as a fine art photographer - and that is what I do - Shoot the way I see it. Or want to see it.

You fall in the "real photographer" category. No genre or category is better than the other - just different. I did loose out by not ever having shot film. I am acutely aware of the differences - especially since I wish I was in the other category.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 18:53:07 »
Like film digital photography can be made to look exactly how you want it to be. There is no clear-cut difference in that respect. None is inherently "better" in a system sense.

However, I wonder if this alleged difference boils down to the general public now have access to a technical quality of their cameras few other than studio photographers with their view cameras had in the past.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 19:29:26 »
Like film digital photography can be made to look exactly how you want it to be. There is no clear-cut difference in that respect. None is inherently "better" in a system sense.

However, I wonder if this alleged difference boils down to the general public now have access to a technical quality of their cameras few other than studio photographers with their view cameras had in the past.

For me, not being into the finer technical aspects of either medium, I find film and wet printing much more limiting than digital and computer processing. Your point of making digital look like film, the ability of adding grain/noise, et cetera, is precisely my point. Even with limited processing expertise, you can make digital look a billion+ different ways, potentially, all of them good. With film and wet printing, you have finite possibilities and only a few are truly good.

With our imagination we can see the world a billion different ways ... with our eyes, our vision is limited.

Hasselblad 500 C/M w/Zeiss 80mm, Tri-X

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 19:54:39 »
It is exactly because film is limiting, less clean and precise, less sharp, and more fine art in a way than my work ever will be, that I admire it so much. Its a different style. Not only because of the medium - but because of the frame of mind when shooting. It is difficult for me to explain. I am sure content has a lot to do with it also. Its raw capture. Pure.
Perhaps I am the only one thinking this - but I wish I could do what you did.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 22:41:05 »
It is exactly because film is limiting, less clean and precise, less sharp, and more fine art in a way than my work ever will be, that I admire it so much. Its a different style. Not only because of the medium - but because of the frame of mind when shooting. It is difficult for me to explain. I am sure content has a lot to do with it also. Its raw capture. Pure.
Perhaps I am the only one thinking this - but I wish I could do what you did.

You can. All you need is a film camera, (and maybe a time machine  ;) ). Seriously, the same basic principals apply to both film and digital. Home development of B&W is easy-pezy. Then after development just digitalize the negative and viola! ... you're in business. I recently acquired a Fuji GX680III medium format film camera. It has tilts and swings. Just to dabble and try your hand at film, I think you can pick up a nice TLR some film and all the gear to develop at home for under $200 (just guessing). The digitalization of the negative can be the hard and expensive part of the entire deal. I suggest medium format because it lends itself to your baby genre  ;D.

More from the On Broadway series:

Hasselblad 500 C/M w/Zeiss 80mm, Tri-X

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 22:58:13 »
You can buy a film camera but you can not go back in time to meet these characters.  They clearly belong to their time and that is what I like most about these images.
Alexander

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 00:37:26 »
You can buy a film camera but you can not go back in time to meet these characters.  They clearly belong to their time and that is what I like most about these images.
I dunno ... nothing wrong with finding new characters.

Nikon FTn w/Nikkor 85mm, Tri-X

(I'm almost out of image from the On Broadway series.)

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 04:31:52 »
Gary,

These are just superb!  Each and everyone of these photographs tell a story, many with emotion.  Please keep these coming.

Lowell
Lowell Harris

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 07:39:30 »
I bet the pigs all tell the same story :)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:39 »
Gary,

These are just superb!  Each and everyone of these photographs tell a story, many with emotion.  Please keep these coming.

Lowell
Thanks Lowell. I'm dredging the bottom of my On Broadway barrel.

Nikon F w/Nikkor 28mm

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 08:30:21 »
I bet the pigs all tell the same story :)
:P

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 09:03:36 »
I dunno ... nothing wrong with finding new characters.
LOL²

Some might prefer life specimens.

cheers
afx