Author Topic: Video: 5 days / 5 minutes in Iceland  (Read 3891 times)

ourmaninkorea

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Willem van den Hoed - Camera Based Art
Re: Video: 5 days / 5 minutes in Iceland
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 05:15:03 »
Thanks Frank for watching! Notice that the Knives-video (https://vimeo.com/150988502) uses the music played by the orchestra of Icelandic Photographers. I have considered speeding up the night, and lengthening the day. Might do that next time!

ourmaninkorea

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 05:19:48 »
My second though is that the technical or artistic quality of each image provided by the participant may not be critically important for this particular experiment/project.  I don't think it is necessarily "a slide show" type of work.  Rather it could be a time lapse of collective flow of thought of the individuals from different parts of the world in a certain time span.
That is exactly right, Akira. The group serves as a kind of international visual Geiger counter. These icebergs cause a visual overload, bleaching out the video, I loved that! My favourite parts are the underexposed moments on the bus. Thanks for seeing this, Akira!

ourmaninkorea

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 05:21:31 »
Agree to that notion. However, without any underlying story board such agglomerated exhibition easily tends to towards white noise.
The storyboard was "written" by the travel agency that planned the itinerary. The video documents the movement of the group over Iceland, nothing more, nothing less. Thanks for your comments!

ourmaninkorea

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 05:26:10 »
well done on your project.
If it was an experiment - it means you are willing to make changes to it next time.
Thats why I do experiments. One seldom gets it 100% right the first time - so keep going.
My thoughts were that some of the images went by too quick - and transition could be more smooth.
Perhaps a more gentle tune also
but those are my thoughts and if it is not what you had in mind  - its also okay
Thanks for your comment. In a future project I would not like to use photographs that show people. Iceland has such a strong landscape, the landscape and bus should be the main characters. I am not afraid of quickness. Fast series of photo's merging into mere colours is a great result. I think the tune is generated by Iceland itself, gentle and quiet AND dramatic an cacophonic. I am most satisfied with the tune actually!

ourmaninkorea

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 05:28:33 »
While a creative idea, a problem with the concept is that the best parts where a lot of images are captured by different photographers over a short time just pass by in an indiscernible  blur, while the more boring parts where an image is only shot now and then are shown for a long time.
I have a macabre reference: In a documentary on Tsjernobyl I saw a man, checking a broken Geiger counter with a fixed and motionless needle. The needle was stuck in maximum, the machine was not broken, the radiation was simply to strong.