Author Topic: Voigtländer SL 90/3.5 APO Lanthar  (Read 3280 times)

Vilhelm

• Mr.
  • NG Member
  • Gone fishing
Voigtländer SL 90/3.5 APO Lanthar
« on: January 11, 2016, 23:17:15 »
Just like the Voigtländer SL II 40/2 Ultron, the 90/3.5 is still available (or at least more common) in its newer form, with the all black barrel and supplied close-up lens (SL II). Although the SL and SL II are (apart from supplied close-up lens) to the best of my knowledge optically the same, my views in this post focus on the original SL series, silver/black barrel with R/G/B stripes.

It is a bit of an odd focal length and aperture combination, but the close focusing range (0.5m, 1:3.5 max mag factor) and fingerprint suggests Cosina made this one for the hanami shooters - very nice bokeh and sharp at all apertures. Like all the SL series lenses (also applies to SL II), they're all metal and have fine tolerances. Sharpness wide open is only barely less than stopped down, being good all the time. Less importantly, they're all very handsome and certainly match the proper look of say a Nikon Df or FM2 camera body  ;)

It goes for about 400-500 EUR on eBay, which is OK given the technical quality it delivers. As mentioned, f/3.5 and 90mm isn't the most appealing combination for a full-frame DSLR, but you shouldn't give that too much thought. Very little if any geometric distortion, low vignetting and best detail at the two widest apertures, it actually draws less detail stopped down to f/8 or smaller. It is however not a true achromatic design, as it will show lateral color fringing if you really want to call upon it.

The black & whites are Ilford Delta 400 on an FM2n, hardly processed at all and scanned years ago when Nikon still gave software support for their scanners.
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
- George Bernard Shaw

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Voigtländer SL 90/3.5 APO Lanthar
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 23:39:35 »
I like the 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar a lot. It is neat and small, and has the cutest little lens hood accompanied by a likewise tiny dedicated close-up lens to give around 1:2 magnification.

It shares pictorial qualities with the 180/4 and 125/2.5, but is less contrasty than the longer Lanthars. CA usually is kept well under control so rarely a problem, but its presence does indicate the "APO" designation is stretching the truth ever so slightly :D

My sample is v.2 so came with the CPU factory installed. Its small size makes it a good companion to a Df or similar body.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 23:52:38 »
Another example of what the 90 APO can deliver (D800). Last remnants of sunset add an afterglow to the sky.

The frozen forest lake is on the former War Refugee Trail on the border between Norway and Sweden.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 00:09:55 »
Lovely.

I also have the SL V.2

Some of the images I posted here before.
Wide open: with D700

And the  Linaria vulgaris. Vernacular names are Common Toad-Flax

Lustwarande: (Sculptures)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 01:27:17 »
I remember considering this lens when it was relaunched as the SLII version, but passed on it due to the slow aperture (f2.8 would have been nicer). However I regret that as I usually shoot stopped down, and the small size and focal length with APO and close focus are appealing.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 09:48:26 »

by the look at it handheld shot, and or diopter attached

D700 90mm/3.5 slii @ f4

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:28:42 »

on Df and tripod at least

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:38:59 »
The 90 APO is excellent for more concentrated excerpts of a landscape too. This is a glimpse of a winter forest, captured with the Nikon D800 and the 90 APO-Lanthar.

(showing the entire frame here; for a production shot I'd probably crop at little top and bottom to create a better balance. Sometimes the 3:2 format feels too elongated)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:41 »
In common with the 180 APO (but not the 125), the 90 APO-Lanthar does very well in IR and there is hardly any focus shift.

A snapshot with my D200IR - straight from the hip. The text on her bag translates to "I cannot live without books", but obviously the message is untrue as her smartphone has her undivided focus :D

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 12:22:45 »
A fine lens indeed, sharp, rich in contrast, no visible CA, acceptably smooth bokeh (not as creamy as the CV125 tho)...

quite nice for closeups too with add. helicoid or extension tube. This is the chrome/black V1.
formerly known as kds315

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:52 »
The optics are identical for the Leica Screw Mount version for range finder cameras. So you can rely on same image quality, however the build quality or lack of it is really obvious when you look inside the lens... mine ended up super glued together to make it work, the lens simply came apart  midway  ::)
Erik Lund