Author Topic: Always the latest and the greatest?  (Read 14544 times)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Re: Always the latest and the greatest?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 12:18:21 »
I've always disliked onboard flashes as well, mainly for aesthetics.  Though I did manage to take one genuinely excellent picture with it once.  And only once.  Seeing as how I am generally pretty safe with my cameras, I'm not too worried about the onboard flash's structural durability.  Besides, the worse that can happen is it gets ripped off and it no longer functions . . . no impact on my usage of the camera.  Although I would certainly trade it away for even a small, but noticeable, increase in viewfinder size. 
-Tristin

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 12:21:37 »
No it means Picture of course  ;)

and S standing shot
A - asshole mode
M  ? I need help here.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 12:23:53 »
and S standing shot
A - asshole mode
M  ? I need help here.

M  Manually, help yourself

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 12:27:01 »
A = amateur

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 12:40:14 »
I thought it meant Portrait....

Nah, it means PJ-style shooting.  PJ means practical joke, of course.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 12:42:26 »
P = Pussy mode
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 12:45:12 »
Correct me if I am wrong but, but as far as I understand a D500 will not communicate with an SB-5000 by itself. I think it needs the WR-R10 plus an adapter for the 10-pin port ($150-$200 total). Not sure about the SB5000 side. Thus built in commander, IR or RF is in effect "lost". (Why hasn't the WR-R10 functionality been incorporated into the body?) I wonder how much that device is going to interfere with an L-bracket.

That said, getting a better viewfinder might be a good trade off.

I'm not sure of the compatibilty between D500 and SB-5000.  But at least it is true that Nikon has incorporated flash system that don't depend on the optical commander with D5.

The efficient shielding against the electro magnatic interference is imperative for Nikon, as the flagship models are used by Japaese self-defence force, and the camera has to function properly in an Aegis ship.  So, any radio-related system cannot be integrated into the body.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 13:20:04 »
and S standing shot
A - asshole mode
M  ? I need help here.

S and A is interpreted quite fine

M means "Magic" of course ;)
Wolfgang Rehm

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 13:30:26 »
M = Morons
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 14:18:51 »
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 18:45:42 »
Does the onboard flash really bother anyone?

It does bother me. In fact the pop-up flash in the D810 is partly responsible for skin damage occurring when using the shift lock of the PC-E 24. Last week due to frost bite, and back many years ago with the D700 the skin wore off my fingers trying to use the lock. The issue is that the pop-up flash housing doesn't allow the shift translator knob to be on that side of the camera (no problem on D3X for example, or other pop-up free Nikons), so for shifts along the long axis of the frame, the translator knob has to go on the opposite side (camera base) and the shift lock knob is under the flash housing overhang (with D3X it is in front of it). Both knobs are easy to access with the pop-up free cameras but a pain to use on pop-up "featuring" cameras. Last week accessing the knob forced me to take off my gloves (in -25 to -19 C, 100% RH, 8m/s wind) leading to a host of painful red spots on my right hand. If the D810 (which is the best camera to use with the 24 PC-E because of its image quality, if it were not for mechanical problems) didn't have the pop-up flash, my hands would be in better shape. Also when using the lens on D3X, it can be taken off in almost any orientation, and then, depending on the orientation it was in,  it can't be mounted on a camera with pop-up intrusion, without rotating it back to a specific orientation where it can be mounted on the D810, and the only easy way to do this rotation is to mount it back on the D3X and figure out what the correct exit strategy is, that allows it to be mounted on pop-up flash cameras. One could argue that it's a design problem of the lens, or the cameras, either way, it is a pain for me to use the lens with the D810 (or D800, or D700).

Also it is my experience that using the pop-up as a commander is a big hassle and practically never results in acceptable photographs. There is leakage of light (even when turning it to commander only, the sync flash pollutes the foreground of the scene), there is almost 100% eye blinks or squints in at least some of the subjects (this can apparently be avoided by adding a strange add on device to the flash), and the recycle time is almost eternity when trying to catch good expressions in a group shot, basically after a few flashes quickly, it seems like the flash needs to cool down for 20 seconds before it lets the camera fire again. None of these problems exist with the SU-800. To me the pop-up flash is a feature that interferes with the way I work and I'm willing to pay significant extra money for a camera body just so that it doesn't have the pop-up.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 18:53:56 »
Correct me if I am wrong but, but as far as I understand a D500 will not communicate with an SB-5000 by itself. I think it needs the WR-R10 plus an adapter for the 10-pin port ($150-$200 total). Not sure about the SB5000 side. Thus built in commander, IR or RF is in effect "lost". (Why hasn't the WR-R10 functionality been incorporated into the body?) I wonder how much that device is going to interfere with an L-bracket.

The SB-5000 has the receiver built in but the camera needs the WR-R10 (and adapter if the camera is one with the 10-pin connector). However the same WR-R10 is the receiver for radio triggering of the camera, and so it does double duty and is worth the money.

The MC-30 cord gets very stiff when frozen and it is difficult to avoid some vibration with 100% confidence when using it in those conditions, which is why I ordered the radio triggering kit. I will be able to use it also for triggering SB-5000 and likely other future Nikon flashes, with the right camera body. This is smart design.  Apparently it needs a firmware upgrade to function as a flash trigger though.

Hopefully it won't interfere with L brackets. It's up to the designer of the bracket to some extent. I find it annoying that the MC-30 doesn't fit well with the RRS L bracket for the D3 family. Also with the D750 and Kirk L bracket if I want to use the Nikon remote cord I can't quite center the bracket on the head, in vertical orientation. Either problem is solved by mounting the bracket so that there is a gap. Bracket designers should think about what they're doing and try all the standard accessories.

That said, getting a better viewfinder might be a good trade off.

If they use it for that, it makes me very happy.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 20:05:45 »
Nikon makes a small, easily pocketable flash that can be quickly snapped onto the hot shoe... if flash is needed.
The prism housing overhanging the aperture scale is an extreme annoyance.  Canon doesn't have the overhang, do they?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2016, 20:39:50 »
S is for Snapshot.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2016, 20:47:29 »
Ilkka, do you know whether the D750 plus WR-R10 can wirelessly control an SB-5000? Or do we have to wait for a firmware upgrade?

Daniel Diggelmann