Author Topic: Nikon AF-S 300mm F/4D ED Lens - Quality on a budget!  (Read 6693 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikon AF-S 300mm F/4D ED Lens - Quality on a budget!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 23:46:40 »
the bird is a common Magpie (juvenile)
That would be the Australian Magpie, not the European...
Excellent pictures!

Alex Cejka

• NG Member
  • South Ontario, Canada
    • Alex Cejka Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 00:51:43 »
I am looking into replacing my 28-300 (my longest reach lens) with something faster and looks like this would be a nice option. Really like your samples here Mongo.
I love mine 70-200/2.8 but sometimes I could use something longer and the lenses I have are not the sharpest at 300mm.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 02:11:11 »
That would be the Australian Magpie, not the European...
Excellent pictures!

correct  Roland and thank you for your kind comment.

I am looking into replacing my 28-300 (my longest reach lens) with something faster and looks like this would be a nice option. Really like your samples here Mongo.
I love mine 70-200/2.8 but sometimes I could use something longer and the lenses I have are not the sharpest at 300mm.

HI Alex and thank you for your kind comments.

Mongo also has the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII and it works reasonably well with converters also. However, depending on the type of photography you wish to do on a particular occasion, you will find that the 300mm f4 will be quite different to use to your 28-300 or even the 70-200 with a converter. In short, the 300mm AF-S f4 is very worth having. Combine this with its relatively very low cost (second hand) for what you are getting from this lens .....and it is really a must ! you will not be disappointed. You can see from even Mongo's 4th posted image that even with a X1.7 converter (wide open) it gives a very light, affordable and respectable 500mm f6.7. Do not be put off by f6.7. Mongo often shoots many of his longer primes and zooms at f8 even though they can be used at more open and faster apertures. Mongo only included the wide open aperture shot to help demonstrate how good the lens can perform at its worst with a X1.7 converter. You can imagine the slight improvement if circumstances permitted you to stop down a little.

In Mongo's opinion, unless you are shooting wide open because of sheer necessity to do so, it's just showing off !! (and that does not impress experienced photographers).

Alex Cejka

• NG Member
  • South Ontario, Canada
    • Alex Cejka Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 04:50:24 »
Hi Mongo,
Thanks for the info!
I do shoot 70-200 at 2.8 in dark churches or to isolate the subjects form the background when using it at weddings/people shoots. I've tried this lens with friend's of mine converter with good results.
But I'd like to have something longer and here I am getting  sold on 300/4 AF-S. :)
That converter may follow sometime later if necessary. I am not sure if I will have use for it as I don't shoot sports nor wildlife....

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 03:41:10 »
I too have replaced the original tripod collar.  First I used the Really Right Stuff one, but then I recently switched to the Kirk Enterprises one  (  http://www.kirkphoto.com/Blemished_Lens_Collar_for_300mm_f4_AFS.html  ).  I like the Kirk version much better as it's over one inch lower, and it has an extra support that fits under the front of the lens.

I like to use my 300mm lens on a monopod.  Attached is an action shot I took at 1/8000th of a second at the USA National Barefoot Waterski championships last August.  This coming August I'll be using this same lens on my D7200 at the 2016 "International" Barefoot Waterski championships (only a few miles from where I live).

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 04:52:32 »
I've been interested in getting more into cloud photography after getting some nice images with my Sigma 180mm macro, which is the longest lens I have ever used.  In terms of contrast, especially micro contrast, do the Af and Af-s versions differ?  I certainly do not need faster Af.
-Tristin