Author Topic: Recent HKG B+W  (Read 2038 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Recent HKG B+W
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:27:13 »
After looking at Tommiejeep's street shots in B+W, I thought I'd give it a go!
HKG December 2015 all with Df and 58mm mostly at f2

May post more in colour if anyone interested

JJ

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Recent HKG B+W
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:25:16 »
These are nice and informative. The b/w conversion is excellent.

I wonder whether all citizens of HK share the same facial expression?

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:28 »
JJ, I like your conversions.  The blacks are Blacks.  I tried to do that with the fishermen but these are a better job.   One of my favourite combs (Df,58 1.4) in, what for years, was my favourite city in the world.  I have not been for some years and almost afraid to return.  Last time I was there it was already changing so much...  :(

Yup, I can handle some in colour.  HK was always a very colourful city
Cheers,
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 14:05:34 »
Thanks for the compliments. B+W is not easy to do well.

I wonder whether all citizens of HK share the same facial expression?

Most of the people that I have from street shots are tourists - mainly from mainland China. Although I am Chinese, I grew up and spent all my life in Australia even in remote country towns. I look on as a foreigner. I suspect that look is what James Clavell referred to as the 'sullen Chinese'!

Tom: HKG is still an amazing place even though it has less order than when it was British HKG. Things change so rapidly - but it remains always interesting, always tasty and the people watching is great due to the sheer population density.

It is now quite expensive - the inflation is to limit the otherwise massive numbers of mainland Chinese that would descend on the city and fill the restaurants and shops. There are 500 million people just north of HKG. The arts scene is progressive more so in the last few years - perhaps a reaction to Mainland's gradual and eventual takeover.

It is still an amazing place to look at camera gear - where else does one find gold Pentax LX, plentiful Titan F2 and rare Leica releases - available everywhere. However, prices are expensive - at least 10-20% more than eBay Japan prices. Lots of rare gear that one may never see - CZ Pancolar 55 1.4 M42, Canon 50mm 0.95 LTM for example. Lots of Nikon Nocts and a few CV AI-s 125s and 180s - but pricey!

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 14:09:40 »
Some street colour photos.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 14:30:43 »
" I suspect that look is what James Clavell referred to as the 'sullen Chinese'!"

A good and apt descriptor ... My initial thoughts exactly.

Never visited any part of China though, so uncertain if my perception was of a fluke or a pattern.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 17:20:12 »
" I suspect that look is what James Clavell referred to as the 'sullen Chinese'!"

A good and apt descriptor ... My initial thoughts exactly.

Never visited any part of China though, so uncertain if my perception was of a fluke or a pattern.

I was there about a year ago.  It's a pattern IMO.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 17:28:48 »
I travelled across the northern parts of China from East to West in 2006.  I would describe the people as "Curious Chinese" rather than sullen.  The children were always keen to try out their English skills on unsuspecting foreigners and were not afraid to initiate conversations.  As in many places, the country people seemed much more open than those in the cities.
Hugh Gunn

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 18:05:04 »
JJ, particularly like the three on their mobiles and the guy standing in the window looking out.  I would like it even more without the car and woman on the far side but that is Street Photography  ;)  I remember of the people of Hong Kong as a very friendly lot , always smiling and laughing.  One narrow street on an uphill slant, full of Dim Sum cafes .  Always a crowd of happy folk.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:34:16 »
JJ, particularly like the three on their mobiles and the guy standing in the window looking out.  I would like it even more without the car and woman on the far side but that is Street Photography  ;)
Tom
Thanks!
The three on mobiles is my favourite too. I like the woman on the side - she contrasts with the Walking Man sign - they are the only 2 'people' that seem to be moving. I like the car - which like the people - is facing away from the centre of the picture. The 3 people are accompanied by the three pillars of the traffic lights which splits up the picture into thirds and yet goes with the central people all facing away from the middle. And yet they're all looking at their phones. And the AF-s 58mm was able to distinctly separate out the characters even though it was >10m away. There's so much going on... That's what I love about HKG! Time for you to go back and go up the hill!

Thanks for looking!

JJ