Author Topic: [Theme] Star Trail Backgrounds to Classic Scenes  (Read 5642 times)

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Star Trail Backgrounds to Classic Scenes
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 15:23:10 »
Great images

The gap filling in StarStax (a free program) works pretty well for me, although I don't know if it can do comet-style trails and gap filling at the same time.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 15:26:37 »
Robert, the last one turned out great.
Andy, you made nice ones in the Alps. I wonder it the shutter speed was a bit on the short side, since the star trails were not so long.

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 16:14:34 »
Thanks Peter and Jakov.  As I get more familiar with StarTraX which  works very well for a free software! I will probably figure my way around it.  For now I just fill the gaps in Ps after stacking, After all, I have nothing else to do, right! LOL  ;D

What I have learnt is that with digital, many shorter (30 second) exposures stacked are a better method than a single long (1 hour?) exposure.  It may reduce the tendency for the  sensor getting too hot, therefore reducing the noise, it allows you to cut out interference from unwanted light sources and you can vary the length of the trails by increasing or reducing the number of exposures in the stack. It stops you having all the eggs in one basket and definitely gives you more control.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK