Author Topic: Hello from Northern Germany  (Read 1548 times)

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hello from Northern Germany
« on: December 30, 2015, 14:55:41 »
Well, after reading this forum and enjoying the many great photos posted here for a couple of months, I just had to join.

I did quite a lot of photography years ago, using first Canon FD until they changed their bayonett. I then sold all my Canon gear and switched to Nikon. Haven't touched a Canon since then. I also had a Leica M3 for 10 years for street photography that I also sold. I still use an ancient Leica IIIf from time to time though, it's hard to give up on the old rangefinder cameras altogether. With the advent of digital photography I lost most of my interest, only took a few shots now and then, using mainly Nikon point and shoot cameras and a D40 with the kit zoom. Also did some digiscoping for record shots of rare birds.

Recently I've become interested in photography again. I got myself a Nikon 1 V1 with the 1.8/18.5 and the FT1 for my old AIS lenses, and recently a used D200 body in perfect shape at a ridiculously low price. I mainly shoot MF lenses (2/35, 1.8/50, 2.8/55 Micro, 4/105 Micro, 5.6/400 IF-ED with TC-14B) and two AF lenses, the 3.5-4.5/18-70 and the 4.5-5.6/70-300. I also have an old AF 1.8/50, still "Made in Japan". That's actually my most-used lens. I generally much prefer primes over zooms, and I'm not really into wideangles at all.

No photos to show at the moment, I'm afraid, I think I need some time and learn how to process RAW well enough first ... :-)

Hermann

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Hello from Northern Germany
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 15:18:04 »
Welcome Hermann!
Please don't be afraid to show us your photos, we don't bite :)
We are all learning how to make better photos by sharing them :)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 15:19:17 »
Welcome at NG, Herman !

Your ''photograpic philosophy'' is close to mine, except that I don't use only nikkor lenses.

I left Canon for the same reason you mentioned : so frustrating to state that all your lenses were obsolete due the mount change.

Free software View NX is a good start to process your RAW files.

Enjoy 2016 with us ! ;)

Francis Devrainne

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 15:47:59 »
Free software View NX is a good start to process your RAW files.

Yeah, I've got View NX on my computers. I'm also trying to get used to Capture NX-D after fooling around with RAW Therapee for a while. That'll take some time though, and I think I may have to upgrade the RAM on my computers. 4 GB isn't really enough, it seems. Switching to other software isn't an option at the moment as I really like using Picture Control.

Hermann

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 20:21:29 »
Welcome Hermann.

If you're running somewhat older, less spec'ced hardware, you could give LightZone a try. It runs on slower machines (albeit slower) and you can get it here: http://lightzoneproject.org/, it's free (and also open source).
Hans Cremers

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:59:15 »
Welcome to the forum Hermann
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 09:34:52 »
Welcom!.
I also had Canon FD the old AE-1 and some very nice lenses, then changed to the F-801s and F4E  and Nikkors ;)
Erik Lund