Author Topic: How Did You Develop Your Photography Style?  (Read 1790 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
How Did You Develop Your Photography Style?
« on: March 06, 2016, 16:48:15 »
I thought it might be fun to post some of my first photographs, taken when I was 14-years old. Some of you might like to do the same. How did we get into the style we have today is my question.

When I was young (six-years old), my idea of nature photography was something in a field guide. By the time I was 14 years old I was doing photography, using a Kodak Retina IIa, close-up lens, tripod, and light meter. By that point I not only wanted nature photos that would go in a field guide, but I wanted them to look nice too, to be like travel-poster photos. .

Here are some bad transfers of 35mm slides that will give you an idea as to what I was doing at 14-years old. My dad, who was a skilled studio-photographer was shocked when he saw my first attempt at photography, which I post some of here. These were taken in 1956 with the Kodak Retina 2a.

In the years since then I have produce many photos that could go in field guides, but less so all the time. Certainly, even when I was very young and loving nature, I was not walking out in the misty morning, breathing in the air, and imaging the scene as a typical nature-guide photo. Instead, I always understood nature as beautiful, as misty mornings, rose-colored dawn, and all of that. My point is that even when I was young, I separated in my mind photos for the nature guide from my-love-of-nature photos. The ones shown here are love-of-nature photos, and not field guide shots.

There came a point in my life when a nature-guide photo, whatever we could agree they such photos require, was no longer what I wanted to photograph. Instead, I was more into the misty-morning style of photo. At this point (today) I am not interested in abstract, industrial, or other styles of photography, but I like to see your examples.

I am interested in what I call “lens painting,” images with lots of bokeh, but clearly defined focus areas. So, if interested, post here your photos that show where you started and perhaps describe how you have ended up with your current style. After all, where I live it is still winter, so we have time.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: How Did You Develop Your Photography Style?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 16:52:21 »
Michel, the first one is amazing!  I feel a strong stylistic connection between this image and your recent stacked images.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 17:03:22 »
Michel, the first one is amazing!  I feel a strong stylistic connection between this image and your recent stacked images.

That is the only close-up photo and it is the same guy who took it that takes them today. Personally, I have forgotten about landscapes, which I obviously could do, but don't do any today. I may have do some again.

Now, some of you share what helped make your current style.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 18:03:11 »
I had a P&S when I grew up - and I dont think I have any of those images anymore - trashed all the negatives and prints.
My real journey with photography started in 2005 - and within months I had a mentor. My style was strongly influenced by him to this day. Even though my style developed and I grew - the base line of thinking is still the same. More of a fine art slant than a journalistic slant. I wish I was better in both genres. I wonder if my fine art kind of look at things will ever change.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 18:53:01 »
My interest from the first roll of film in 1983, from the first exposure was subtle geometry in architecture.

Food came with the first time I saw digital food shots on a calibrated screen.

I always took portaits because I have a general curiosity in people.

Style?

One can only shoot what one sees. What you see depends on who you are.
Consequentionally genuine style is a reflection of one's personality.

Imitated, learned style, is only a technicality and boring in my book.

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/