Author Topic: First Try Birding With a New 200-500  (Read 4473 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
Re: First Try Birding With a New 200-500
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 15:51:49 »
I'm not sure if this is my eyes but on all pictures there seems to be problem with proper focus. That is not shutter speed issue in my opinion, look at the third photo in linked set - the grass is a bit sharper than the bird itself. Can you upload 100% crop of the bird? Then we can analyze it more precisely.  Have you microadjusted AF ? It would help.

I did not have 3D enabled, so it is possible AF locked onto the wrong thing.  Micro AF adjustment has not been attempted yet.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 16:00:02 »
for us (non long lens) users - how about some tips from you (long lens) users about settings please?

"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 19:12:16 »
I am certainly not the best here, but this is what works best for me (using D750):
For action/BIF:
Manual mode, auto-ISO enabled. base setting is 1/2000 and f5.6, but I will often change those.
Back-button-focusing enabled, AF-C with 9 points normally on (will change this often too). Video button is set to change sensor area mode, Preview is set to change white balance and Fn is set to DOF Preview but seldom used.

In this mode I will tend to use the central focus points and crop later, as even with a 500mm lens I am not often close enough to the birds.

For more static subjects:
Aperture Priority with Show ISO/Easy ISO enabled, back-button focussing enabled (actually this is enabled across all camera modes), AF-C with single-point on. Base setting is f5.6 and ISO400, but will change these often.

In this mode I will often move the active focus point for composition, unless the subject is small or far away, as I believe the centre focus point is probably the most accurate (it is the only one on which my AF is fine-tuned.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 20:23:48 »
I did not have 3D enabled, so it is possible AF locked onto the wrong thing.  Micro AF adjustment has not been attempted yet.
Ron
mi bird in flight shots got blurry when I got the  D800, this persisted untl I checked the AF fine tuning
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 04:26:17 »
thanks Peter!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

psilo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 08:37:02 »
For perfect micro AF adjustements you have two options:

1. Your own eyes = using self prepared target (eg. flat surface that AF can easily be set) and then you have to play with the settings (+20, 0, - 20). This is rather complex but easy when you get the idea.

2. Using Reikan Focal software, connecting the camera to the computer = highly reccomended.

I'm using both methods. As for now almost every body that I was using had some level of micro AF adjustements necessary. When using fixed lenses this is easy and repeatable. With zoom lenses this is more tricky as you need to perform the testing on many focal lenghts to confirm your setting.

Boys and girls, now it's time for experimenting!

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 18:42:08 »
For perfect micro AF adjustements you have two options:

1. Your own eyes = using self prepared target (eg. flat surface that AF can easily be set) and then you have to play with the settings (+20, 0, - 20). This is rather complex but easy when you get the idea.
Boys and girls, now it's time for experimenting!

Improvement noted with a +1 adjustment.  +3 is too much.  May experiment with +2.  There is definitely a shutter speed issue in the shot above.