Author Topic: Two versions of a pano - your thoughts?  (Read 8677 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Two versions of a pano - your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 23:24:26 »
Two further versions that attempt to take in feedback from various comments (thank you all for commenting!).
Both based on the pano that gave the first image posted; different crops.
Simone Tomasi

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 23:57:46 »
Taking out the "disturbing" snow cannot be done without massive digital manipulations and that is not my style.

While I am not against photo manipulation, I would argue that stitching together several photos to make one image is just as massive of a manipulation as removing an unwanted element from an image.  ;)

That said, I like your new framing (first image above) the most. The snow in the corner now looks like snow and not a distraction and I like the added sky and foreground.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 00:06:21 »
While I am not against photo manipulation, I would argue that stitching together several photos to make one image is just as massive of a manipulation as removing an unwanted element from an image.  ;)

That said, I like your new framing (first image above) the most. The snow in the corner now looks like snow and not a distraction and I like the added sky and foreground.

Valid point.
I would argue that stitching photos overcomes a lack of capability of the equipment, which is different from removing features from the image taken; however something that seems logic to me is not necessarily to someone else.
Personally, I try as much as possible to avoid cloning things out (or in!). If I want something to appear or not in an image I try to compose accordingly and when I fail I accept to stick to my self-inflicted rule and live with the consequences  :)

Thanks for your opinion.
Simone Tomasi

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 00:15:54 »

I still think your initial posted first image is the best one. These last ones get unfocused due to the large amount of detail.
Øivind Tøien

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 09:12:43 »
Yes, I agree too.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 09:54:18 »
Øivind and John,

It seems that it is impossible to bring everyone to agree on something :)
That is good, I like to think that there will always be a range of opinions.
I think I am settling for the second to last version posted.

My mind is made about the crop but if anyone wants to further discuss the photo I'll be happy to keep this thread going.
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 11:24:49 »
After your comment I developed an alternative version, identical to yours.
I like the snow, but the foreground is a bit drab (maybe could be improved with post-processing) and the wide view dilutes the lakes and peaks at the right.

Simone, one good thing about the pano is that the viewer can zoom in and out on the larger print.  Even though you are not going to make a huge 1x3m print, the print containing different elements could entertain the viewers.

Of course, I'm not going to insist on my idea and lengthen the discussion meaninglessly.  Hope you come up with the print you can be satisfied with.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 21:11:38 »
Simone, one good thing about the pano is that the viewer can zoom in and out on the larger print.  Even though you are not going to make a huge 1x3m print, the print containing different elements could entertain the viewers.

Of course, I'm not going to insist on my idea and lengthen the discussion meaninglessly.  Hope you come up with the print you can be satisfied with.

Yes, I have decided for the tighter crop, but as you say also the wider view would work.
It is mainly a matter of personal taste - and I suspect even personal preference could vary with time and mood.
Simone Tomasi