Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Interesting innovative camera

(1/3) > >>

simsurace:
I found this talk interesting, both for the innovative way to look at camera design and the clarity of explanations. It will be interesting to hear people's ideas about it! It takes a bit of time to watch it all, but in my opinion is totally worth it.

https://vimeo.com/143690545

EDIT: I should add a few details. The talk is about the design of the Light camera (https://light.co/) and imaging, especially computational imaging in general.

Frank Fremerey:
The limiting factors are

1) computing power of the postprocessor
2) data storage
3) battery capacity

Data storage is a problem when you try to store 30MP x 16 in RAW. That is a lot of Data and even a 64GB card will be filled pretty soon. During the processing you have to temporary store all of these data.

Postprocessors get better but a lot of computing power means a lot of battery usage and a small camera means not much space for a large battery.

My guess is that the first generation will be take a shot, then wait for a long time before you can take the next shot. A responsive camera will only be there after a few generations.

simsurace:

--- Quote from: Frank Fremerey on November 03, 2015, 21:54:13 ---The limiting factors are

1) computing power of the postprocessor
2) data storage
3) battery capacity

Data storage is a problem when you try to store 30MP x 16 in RAW. That is a lot of Data and even a 64GB card will be filled pretty soon. During the processing you have to temporary store all of these data.

Postprocessors get better but a lot of computing power means a lot of battery usage and a small camera means not much space for a large battery.

My guess is that the first generation will be take a shot, then wait for a long time before you can take the next shot. A responsive camera will only be there after a few generations.

--- End quote ---

Good points. In the video he does mention that the battery should last for 400 shots and there is an optional grip with more battery in it.
The internal storage is projected to be 128 GB at least. That does not remove the constraint of processing. He mentions that some things will be processed only after the camera connects to a computer. I guess you have to keep the raw data until then, but I suppose they have some smart tricks up their sleeves to compress the data somewhat as it is captured. It is highly redundant data after all, you want to keep some redundancy in order to compute pixel depths etc. but maybe you can throw away some as well. Plus camera phone processors have become pretty powerful lately.

John Geerts:
I have seen the video. It's  a gadget.

Apart from the points Frank mentions.  It's about stitched photo's with different lenses, beyond any control and dependent on the program of the makers / camera.

It has a fixed aparture, and the problems with depth or field are not answered.  And looking at the size of the 'prototype'  it's not small too    ;) 

Frank Fremerey:
I want to have one to try and I want to shoot it in RAW to postprocess BOKEH anmd DOF at home. The multi perspective shooting offers a lot more information than a conventional shot!

@John: The DOF/BOKEH management is explained but may be the guy does not explain it very well or the idea is quite unconventional:

A classic lens has a certain dimension and any point on the lens produces a picture of a slightly different perspective. In a clasical lens these pictures are then mixed together analougous. The mixing is done digitally in the "light" camera, so DOF and BOKEH can be controlled after the shot. In the classical lens you can only choose the Aperture as the only parameter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version