Author Topic: On the road to Capture One  (Read 8438 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: On the road to Capture One
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 04:29:46 »
For those contemplating to buy or upgrade to the latest instalment of Capture One please be aware you can use the code “AMBCRAIG” for 10% discount :)

Source:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-capture-one-pro-9-released
Cheers,
Jan Anne

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 07:09:25 »
For those contemplating to buy or upgrade to the latest instalment of Capture One please be aware you can use the code “AMBCRAIG” for 10% discount :)
Or if you are generally turned of by the high price, look out for photo magazines that have a stripped down version. It happens several times a year here in Germany. Then just buy the full thing for the update price (with the 10% discount ;-).

cheers
afx

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 08:49:57 »
Photo magazines, what is that??  ;) :P

Wow, can't remember when I bought the last collection of advertisements spiced with a few re-used articles about the basics.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 13:02:37 »
:D Indeed JA.

afx

• NG Member
    • AFXImages
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 15:19:46 »
Photo magazines, what is that??  ;) :P
That is part of the dead tree pile you see at airports and train stations ;-)

Wow, can't remember when I bought the last collection of advertisements spiced with a few re-used articles about the basics.
There are actually a few very specialized ones that do have interesting articles on photographers, this is how I discovered Rax from Iceland for example.
But apart from that, I usually only get them when there is an interesting freebie CD ;)

cheers
afx

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 20:08:07 »
Another site (ambassador) with 10% coupon is http://imagealchemist.net/.

Good tips there too!
Hans Cremers

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 04:51:22 »
Well Hello Afx!

Miss you over at the Bibble Labs forums. Heck, miss the Bibble forums. I was about ready to pull the plug on Bibble 5 when things got very weird and then boom found out they had been sold to that wreck of a company (yes Corel) who I have seen purchase great solid software only to run it into the ground and use it to advertise new releases. In any case, I have also been keeping my eye out and trying out software - and then repeating the trials when a new version comes out.

If I could have my way, Capture one and DxO would merge making Capture DxO. Then I would throw in a bit of every other piece of software just for good measure. I am still in the hunt so look forward to your input on this particular piece of software.

afx

• NG Member
    • AFXImages
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 19:50:55 »
A few more observations, now that I also use it on a 15" Retina MacBook.

They must be a bit schizophrenic...
While most keyboard shortcuts translate easily between Windows and OS X, just by substituting CTRL with CMD, for copy & paste it is a disaster.
Windows: CTRL-C & CTRL-V not matter what the subject is, settings or text.
Mac: CMD-C & CMD-V for metadata text, SHIFT-CMD-C & SHIFT-CMD-V for image settings
and in contrast to the rest of the shortcuts, this can not be redefined.
Utterly idiotic.

I finally understood how to properly configure the output image naming:

In the recipe, one can specify s sub-folder and a sub-name.
The sub-folder, relative to the image source is used without a problem.
But the sub-name is ignored. One has to use the token subname in the output name tool to activate the sub-name in the recipe. I have no idea what those guys are smoking, but it definitely is not something I ever want to try....

Similarly, when using the download function to copy images from the card, there is a job name that can be specified for the file name. But there is now way to use that in the directory name, why?
Why do I have to scroll in a small text filed to put in my project name?

The generation of masks from the color editor is still wonky (v 9.01). Lets hope they fix it in the next update.

In a previous post I mentioned that on Windows I could not select scripts for post processing. On Macs it is basically the same stupidity, only if it is named .app it is selectable in the menu.

In contrast to the brain dead Lightrooom catalogs, one can copy a project directory easily between machines and resume working on the other box. If the images are there already on both boxes, just syncing the C1 settings directory is sufficient...

cheers
afx

afx

• NG Member
    • AFXImages
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 11:01:02 »
Found a little application that generate .app files from shell scripts (Platypus).
Turns out, C1 does not pass the image file name to called apps on the commandline, but uses the drop mechanism.
Platypus can convert that into a commandline argument for the called script.
So now I have a Watermark.app that calls my Perl script ;-)

cheers
afx

jknights

• NG Member
  • Still learning after all these years!
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 22:20:39 »
Andreas,
With COP on Mac you can use AppleScript.
I havent used it yet but apparently it works well.
I still am waiting for decent release of ASP that fixes all the broken pieces that used to work.  The move from32bit to 64bit also means that some of my favourite plugins dont work.  I need to find the last decent version of 32bit ASP to use with the old plugins.

The advantage of COP for me is that it has some nice editing tools and works very well with the Fuji X series RAW files as well as my Nikon ones.

afx

• NG Member
    • AFXImages
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 23:00:03 »
With COP on Mac you can use AppleScript.
Why bother when I have a perfectly working Perl script (Since Bibble 4 days...)?
I did try to wrap it with Automator and Applescript. It was a PITA compared to using Platypus....

I still am waiting for decent release of ASP that fixes all the broken pieces that used to work.  The move from32bit to 64bit also means that some of my favourite plugins dont work.  I need to find the last decent version of 32bit ASP to use with the old plugins.
That's what you get when Corel pisses off the plugin creators...

cheers
afx