Images > Themes, Portfolio Series, PaW, or PaM

[Theme] Show us your "Old World Market" shots

(1/14) > >>

Anirban Halder:
What are Old World Markets? IMO -
a. Typically people sell locally produced vegetables, meat & fish, bread, honey, spices, oils etc etc. No fancy packaging.
b. No chiller, refrigerator or cold storage (mostly). Neither you get any frozen stuff. Sometime even butter, cottage cheese etc are sold without freezing them.
c. Many vendors sell one particular category of vegetables or meat or grains. Even fish vendors sell few types of fishes each of them.
d. Some shops don't even have any electronic weighing machine.
e. Typically they don't accept credit cards. Cash only.
f. They are loud! (in my country at least…)

I shot the below pictures in a town 50km south from Calcutta. There were plenty photo opportunities. It was an overly crowded market as it was a major hub for 30km radius. People were literally pushing each other during rush hour (morning 6am to 10am). They don’t see people taking pictures often - I got questioned a LOT. I wish I had taken more pictures, only if I had nerves. Someday I will go back again.

So, let's start with a rice seller.

Anirban Halder:
This gentleman sells only potato, onions and garlic. And that's the weighing machine I'm talking about!!

Frank Fremerey:
Very cool project. I will take part. Great idea!

armando_m:
I go to a market every so often and I have considered bringing a camera along, but has not happen

I used to go to markets when i was a kid where the weight was measured as you show in your images,
currently everyone seems to have an electronic scale

in the mean time, here is the Borough market in London , crowded, but way to nice in comparison to my local market
1. the fish seller takes Amex, but uses low tech to keep the flies away

2. "not touch the cheese"

afx:
In recent years I have been to the west side of Lago di Garda every fall.
There are several markets that I love to visit, the largest being in Saló.

Here are a few impressions:

I love the cheese:

And the salamis:

They sell truffles:

Or cherries:

Porcini and dried tomatoes:

At then end of the trip I usually come home with several kilos of cheese and Salami.

cheers
afx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version