Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images  (Read 196646 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images
« Reply #1110 on: May 15, 2024, 17:43:43 »
+1

Both are clean and crisp - Yes Wow! Perfect
Hugh Gunn

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #1112 on: May 15, 2024, 22:29:30 »
Congrats on you captures Oivid! Really impressive moon and sun photos :)

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #1113 on: May 16, 2024, 00:17:06 »
Superb!
Bruno Schröder

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1114 on: May 17, 2024, 07:13:03 »
Thanks everybody.  Armando, yes no problem with adapter for F-mount lenses, made by ZWO and others. As I noted earlier Z-mount lenses would not work on the ZWO cameras as they have to long flange distance.

With another moon phase last night better revealing the Apeninne (mid lower left) and Caucasus mountains, I had to make another try at that region. The Apennine mountains are >40,000 meters high! The Apollo 15 landing site is right next to the northern part of it east of the large Archimedes crater - seems like a daring task to land there. Another landmark shown is the Vallis Alps to the upper left which contains a structure called the Rille which is not quite resolved. Stack of the 15% best of 2000 full resolution video frames, cropped from horizontal to vertical.  (Again open in new tab for larger version.)
Øivind Tøien

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1115 on: May 17, 2024, 14:01:44 »
Amazing detail!
Anthony Macaulay

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1116 on: May 19, 2024, 09:03:09 »
Thanks Anthony.
Of course I could not stop there, there were more to be revealed as the moon phase advanced over the two days following the last image. First a tease where the edge of the Coperincus Crater starts showing, then one where the crater has fully emerged out of the dark. Seeing seemed to be progressing to worse, so for the last one I stacked only the best 5% of 3000 captured frames.
Øivind Tøien

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1117 on: May 19, 2024, 17:11:49 »
Thanks everybody.  Armando, yes no problem with adapter for F-mount lenses, made by ZWO and others. As I noted earlier Z-mount lenses would not work on the ZWO cameras as they have to long flange distance.

With another moon phase last night better revealing the Apeninne (mid lower left) and Caucasus mountains, I had to make another try at that region. The Apennine mountains are >40,000 meters high! The Apollo 15 landing site is right next to the northern part of it east of the large Archimedes crater - seems like a daring task to land there. Another landmark shown is the Vallis Alps to the upper left which contains a structure called the Rille which is not quite resolved. Stack of the 15% best of 2000 full resolution video frames, cropped from horizontal to vertical.  (Again open in new tab for larger version.)

Wow I didn't know the  moon had mountains over 4km tall

Thanks so much for sharing your quest to obtain detailed moon images
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1118 on: May 19, 2024, 20:06:21 »
Wow I didn't know the  moon had mountains over 4km tall

Thanks so much for sharing your quest to obtain detailed moon images

Thanks, I also did not realize until I looked it up, and add a zero to that 40,000 m = 40km tall  ;)

Øivind Tøien

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #1119 on: May 21, 2024, 16:13:21 »
Thanks, I also did not realize until I looked it up, and add a zero to that 40,000 m = 40km tall  ;)

Agreed Armando and Øivind
Considering Everest is just over 8km high, that really puts things in perspective.

Do we know enough about the moon's geology to know how or why mountains are so much higher than on Earth?

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1120 on: May 21, 2024, 20:36:51 »
Do we know enough about the moon's geology to know how or why mountains are so much higher than on Earth?

Lack of erosion by water and glaciers?

Animated interpretation of the evolution of the moon from NASA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKmSQqp8wY&ab_channel=NASAGoddard
Øivind Tøien

Brute

• NG Member
  • Podunk USA
« Reply #1121 on: May 30, 2024, 05:53:25 »
Some from the Northern Lights earlier this month. My first experience seeing them.
North central Oregon.

Ken Smith

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1122 on: May 30, 2024, 06:17:53 »
Beautiful captures Ken, and very nice foreground subject! Thanks for posting.

Sunspot active region AR3664 which has now been renamed to AR3667 according to conventions has appeared again from the back side of the Sun and still remains quite active. So keep alert at Spaceweather.com for possible more happenings.
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1123 on: June 20, 2024, 11:14:58 »
The latest addition to my setup, a leveling platform and a G4 Pro geared head, both from Leofoto (#1) had to be tested on the famous AR3664(AR3667) at the lower right before it disappeared again, although seeing was not too good; 500PF + TC-20E III and Astrosolar film on ASI678 MC, as I recall stack of 30% best of about 2000 frames (#2). The geared head makes it much easier to navigate within a capture field of fraction of a degree.

The quick handheld unstacked image with 500PF + TC-20E III and Astrosolar film on Z8 I got late yesterday evening showing several new really impressive sunspot regions (AR3712 and AR3713 from bottom) is even more interesting. One can almost see how magnetic lines travels between the two sub-regions of AR3712 (#3, open in new tab for larger version).

I also had to try the new setup on an IR capture of a daytime crescent second day moon, but seeing was not great so I only used the 500PF with TC-14E III with the ASI 678MC, stacking 20% of 2000 captured video frames  (#4).
Øivind Tøien