Images > Themes, Portfolio Series, PaW, or PaM

[Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images

(1/217) > >>

Øivind Tøien:
Edit: Post your best lunar images of any kind in this thread.

Edit2, October 21, 2020: I have expanded the topic to also include other objects in our solar system, i. e. planets and the sun itself (provided it is the all dominating object of interest), as we are anyway seeing a few of these here.  :)

Moon with 300mm PF:
A few days ago while checking out my new 300mm f/4 PF i noticed a yellow moon rising above the horizon. As I did not have my tripod with me,  I had to rely on the VR. It was mounted with TC-14E and FT-1 on my Nikon 1 AW1. Not bad considering the 1/80 sec shutter speed and that the crop presented has an angle of view closer to a 2000mm on FX:

NIKON 1 AW1, f/6.3 @ 420 mm, 1/80, ISO 160, VR Normal.

Atmospheric conditions were far from ideal with the moon so low on the horizon. I later got to my tripod and did some further captures with VR off. White balance has here been kept at daylight to show the color of the moon resulting from filtering though the atmosphere at an angle. (The full crop of the following closeups are available if image is opened in new tab)

NIKON 1 AW1, f/6.3 @ 420 mm, 1/80, ISO 160, VR off.

However the moon surface is not yellow but gray. Here the colors have been corrected to match the colors of the NASA moon map.

NIKON 1 AW1, f/6.3 @ 420 mm, 1/80 sec , ISO 160, VR off.

Atmospheric conditions were far from ideal during the above captures. A few days later a new opportunity appeared when it finally cleared up again.

I waited until the moon approached its max height above horizon. The first few tries that I made with my 5100 were far from successful. I then tried with the AW1 again, here with colors adjusted to the gray shades of the moon:

NIKON 1 AW1, f/6.3 @ 420 mm, 1/160 sec., ISO 160, VR off

Somewhat later from a lower vantage point I made some new tries to figure out what was going on wiith the D5100 captures. Again problems, but then I noticed how the image moved because of atmospheric disturbance. I increased the ISO to 800, and with the shorter shutter speed, I finally got something useful.

NIKON D5100, f/6.3 @ 420 mm, 1/640 sec., ISO 800, VR off.

I also had to try an IR capture with my D40x IR-720. This body's AF works surprisingly well with the 300 PF. Color shades that resulted are also surprisingly close to the visible range:

NIKON D40X IR-720, f/5.6 @ 420 mm, 1/80 sec., ISO 100, VR off. Captured 20 min. or so before #6.

elsa hoffmann:
Thank you for sharing - great images. Many people find the moon over shot and boring - but I am still lusting for a good one myself. Every time someone posts a moon - I am reminded I dont have one yet!

Jakov Minić:
Really wonderful stuff.
I too, don't have a moon shot yet!

Anthony:
My moon shots are not great either, you inspire me to keep trying.

The AW1 is a very versatile camera.

RobOK:
I love moon shots, keep posting with your experiments!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version