Author Topic: The end of the road  (Read 1207 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
The end of the road
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:58:45 »
Even the grass can overtake these old boilers, parked for the rest of time in a farmer's field.

I made two versions and am not sure which works best - tell me your opinions, please.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: The end of the road
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:37:55 »
Strange parking lot.  ;)

For me works the color-version best. The red car makes a nice contrast in the landscape. 

With regard to Black and White, I usually choose it when a) there is little color in the photo b) to emphasize a particular thing and c) in a stark light-contrast situation.  In your example I personally can't discover the need for B&W.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:40:51 »
David, I am not sure which version is better.
However, they still need to put some effort on their bodywork to reach the famous Swedish car scrap yard Erik once took Bjørn and myself :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:37:53 »
Frankly it is difficult to answer.  The cars looks too clean for the abandoned ones, and thus the image just look like, as John joked, three cars parked in the open field with beautiful long-distance view.  The B&W treatment makes the cars look even cleaner.  I would say the color version is the better of these two, but I'm not sure if the better one is up to the quality of the other images you have posted so far.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 13:43:49 »
Thanks, John, Jakov and Akira, for your comments.

John and Akira - both your analyses are spot-on - I didn't feel the colour version was quite right so I tried monochrome. This was not good thinking. As Akira points out correctly, the problem is that the image is not good enough. There were spectacular things happening with the clouds and mist but I just couldn't find a good foreground.

Jakov - I've seen things like that out in the islands where there is no way to dispose of an old car. These ones have only just started their last journey (to a pile of rust).