Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Nikon AFS Extension tubes

(1/4) > >>

Erik Lund:
The new lenses with floating elements are often troubled with extension tubes since you are using them outside their designed distance. You get a sharp center but often the image just breaks up.

Some years ago I converted a TC-20E by removing the glass leaving just an extension tube, it can be used with the old unit focusing designs like: Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, 105mm f/4 and similar and the New Noct-Nikkor actually does well with extension as well, although a shorter TC-14E would be preferable to use as donor.

The TC-20E Extension tube design does also perform quite bad with 200mm f/2.0 and 300mm f/2.8 since their optical design rely heavily on Internal Focusing.

Please note that it will also not work with the new E-Type lenses they have electronic aperture stop down.

Generally the old advise to use a TC for close up work still goes;

the old TC-14 and TC-201 work often better than an extension tube on the old Micro Nikkors.

Again the new 58mm 1.4 has shown some initial good performance with TC14E, 17E and 20E-III, I need to try it out some more...

BTW link to PN11 DIY modification
http://damien.douxchamps.net/photo/pn11/

Øivind Tøien:
>The TC-20E Extension tube design ...>Please note that it will also not work with the new E-Type lenses they have electronic aperture stop down.

I thought the advantage of rebuilding a TCxx-E to an extension ring is allowing feed though of the electrical connections?

I believe that for instance TC14-E II is listed as compatible with 300 f/4 PF, and my understanding is the the difference between I and II versions is just exterior cosmetics?  The only thing I could foresee is that set aperture will not be correct as the electronics will compensate as for a TC.

Intrepid:
Erik, purely out of academic curiosity, are there no extension tubes with all the electrical contacts available?  For the Sony E mount, for example, there are extension tubes with full compatibility.

Erik Lund:

--- Quote from: Øivind Tøien on June 17, 2015, 01:22:04 --->The TC-20E Extension tube design ...>Please note that it will also not work with the new E-Type lenses they have electronic aperture stop down.

I thought the advantage of rebuilding a TCxx-E to an extension ring is allowing feed though of the electrical connections?

I believe that for instance TC14-E II is listed as compatible with 300 f/4 PF, and my understanding is the the difference between I and II versions is just exterior cosmetics?  The only thing I could foresee is that set aperture will not be correct as the electronics will compensate as for a TC.

--- End quote ---
Correct it is listed as compatible, I will have to check why I couldn't get the 300mm PF to work with my TC-20E mark I...

Erik Lund:

--- Quote from: Intrepid on June 17, 2015, 01:42:08 ---Erik, purely out of academic curiosity, are there no extension tubes with all the electrical contacts available?  For the Sony E mount, for example, there are extension tubes with full compatibility.

--- End quote ---
Only very cheaply made plastic extension tubes are available with contacts, and their internal baffle size is rather small compared to the Nikon TC's so not usable on large rear element lenses...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version