Author Topic: Travelling to Iceland - any advice?  (Read 1759 times)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Travelling to Iceland - any advice?
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:40:36 »
Have any of you travelled by Wowair?

I'm getting taken on a trip to Iceland in May 2016. It seems the main option to get there would be with Wowair. I've seen the usual mix of good & critical reviews online, so thought I'd check with fellow NG members.

We'll be travelling in May 2016 and it's only for 4 nights. The trip has been organised by my elderly mother so I won't have free rein to explore, but I've always wanted to go and hoped that May would be a good compromise between weather and not so many other visitors as high summer.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Travelling to Iceland - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:49:52 »
Been there 5 days in July 2014 and it was not overcrowded. Very different from Côte d'Azur.

I flew with Icelandair, which is on the expensive side, but my airline-fanatic son absolutely wanted to sit in a 757-300.
Be sure to reserve domestic flights in advance, especially from Akureyri across the arctic circle. The aircraft is only a 12-seater... from Reykjavik to Akureyri it's a Dash-8 and it is less crowded. Can be a one-long-day roundtrip. We had our warmest day there (20°C).
Airy Magnien

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 13:52:30 »
In August 2012 I spent a few days in Iceland with day trips going out from Reykjavik:
http://images.afximages.com/Travel/Icelandic-Impressions/
Flew there with IcelandAir from Munich, nice trip, cheaper than Lufthansa ;-)

Even though it was high season, it really was not crowded apart from a few main attractions that we visited on an organized coach trip on Saturday.
Unfortunately I lost the link to a web site that lists lots of little interesting places that most tour guides do not show.

There is another Iceland thread here from Lew:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=637.msg5027

cheers
afx

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 15:39:48 »
Thanks Guys.

The main point I wanted to check is if anyone had used the airline Wowair? They seem like a budget carrier, so I guess some minor issues are to be expected.

It looks as though flights are available on the dates we want with IcelandAir, so it just depends on whether I'd gain much more with them.

As for the location advice, thanks but I'm strictly limited to my mum's choice of itinerary (she's paying)! From all the tales I've heard from others, I'm sure I'll want to go back another time, this time with full camera gear and an uncluttered diary :)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 16:11:03 »
Long live your Mum. She's got interesting destinations.
Airy Magnien