Author Topic: Spitfire Memorial  (Read 1633 times)

Mike G

Spitfire Memorial
« on: September 25, 2015, 20:09:14 »
This is a model Spitfire which is part of a memorial to Polish fighter pilots of WW2 who flew from RAF Northolt, the memorial is  the garden of a pub called The Orchard much used by the Polish pilots!

I had tried to get a shot with flare, but just as I took it the sun went behind a cloud!

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Re: Spitfire Memorial
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 23:25:26 »
There used to be a Spitfire mounted on a plinth - a bit like this one - outside RAF Turnhouse, the military section of the old Edinburgh Airport, and I often used to admire it. Long time ago.

I've taken a couple of liberties with your picture - hope you don't mind.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 00:25:01 »
Too much prop blur. (Seriously, well done David. Much better than a Spitfire on a stick.)
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Mike G

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 11:34:33 »
No I don't mind, that was going to be one of my next projects! the wingspan is approx 2metres.

Every RAF Station had/has a replica Spitfire, all the real ones were sold to be able where possible to be refitted to flying status or turned into spares! The gate guardians as they were called were made of fibre glass and were about 2/3 size.

Derek1945

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 02:14:58 »
Hey Mike G, I have had a lot of pints and meals at that pub, my wife is from Northolt near The White Hart and I am from Hayes. Good shot of the spitfire and a good re-editing David.
YOUR FULL NAME GOES HERE

Mike G

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 12:54:05 »
My equivalent to Daves crop and adjustments but being me of course its in colour.  :)

Derek, I go to the Orchard at least once a month and indeed I will be there on Friday 03/10/15 with a couple of friends for lunch!

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 14:23:30 »
It works very well this way, Mike - nicely done.

I think the Spit outside RAF Turnhouse was genuine - I'm talking about the '60s and early '70s when I used to see it. When the whole place was modernised / upgraded / redeveloped, the Spitfire disappeared, perhaps to be refurbished and to fly again - who knows?

Later.
The Spitfire I remember was genuine - serial RW393, 603 Squadron. When the airfield was redeveloped it was replaced with a generic GRP 1:1 replica. The original is believed to be in an air museum somewhere in the Midlands.

Mike G

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 16:05:10 »
Dave, quite right in the 60s/70s the gate guardians were the real thing! Whoever bought the originals had to replace them with a FG replica, usually the replicas had the original livery copied onto them. It was when you got close up it became obvious they were models, they were very well made!

PS Google tells me that many people bought the gate guardians, and some are still undergoing restoration!

A link to Spitfire RW 393 - http://www.warbirdsnews.com/aviation-museum-news/raf-museum-unveil-sit-in-spitfire-experience.html