Author Topic: [Theme] Do you have a stitched photo?  (Read 139732 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: DO you have a stitched photo?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2015, 23:47:16 »
Olivier. Children playing in this aristocratic setting. Wonderful. IR adds very nicely to it
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2015, 02:47:14 »
I loved Akira's panoramas, especially the second and third.

Simone, glad you like some.  You captured beautiful lightings in the first two panos.

Olivier's IR pano is endearing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2015, 02:52:19 »
wow - and the great images keep coming!
So glad I started this thread - I am inspired.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2015, 15:50:29 »
Woohoo, first pano from "the weekend". Freiburg itself, from the plateau at the castle.
Hans Cremers

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2015, 07:02:12 »
Death Valley, January 2015,  Nikon 135/3.5 Ai.
[/url]DEVA southPan-Pano shotsDevaPan4150104
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

black_bird_blue

• NG Member
  • If you can't be safe, be stylish.
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2015, 03:11:22 »

Fairly obvious where it was taken from. From 2007, probably a trip to Japan since that's where most of my business travel was to that year. EXIF data says it was with my D200 and suggests a 24mm focal length for the constituent pictures with the 24-120 lens. I didn't use that lens much as I never really held it in the same affection as the 28-105mm even though it was technically better in many respects.

I can't remember exactly how many pictures it was stitched from, but I do remember the camera was in portrait format, so I am guessing about 5 frames. EXIF says f11 at 1/400th second and I habitually set the camera to manual for stitch shots like this. My workflow at the time would have been to pull the raw files into Lightroom, export them as 16bit TIFFs, open them in PS (probably CS3 at that point) and automerge them, and finally flatten and crop. I wasn't very careful about aspect ratio on the final image typically. I'm still not - I just get the maximum picture, then worry about it cropping it to something specific later if it becomes relevant.

I also remember the stitching as largely painless but I had to do a little footwork around some of the badging on the engine and there is still a mismatch artefact on the outboard engine, but you only see it if you look for it.

At the time I just enjoyed the slightly patriotic feeling I got from the Union Jack with its colours echoed by the view generally, but was disappointed by the very limited view from a single frame shot compared to the view I got when I put my face against the window, hence I had a go at a stitched shot.

Pretty successful given it was rather casually handheld from an aircraft seat, I think.
Damian Harty

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2015, 13:36:32 »
Beautiful shot Damian. Love the color contrast and framing!

Elsa - thanks for starting this great thread. So many wonderful photos and so much to learn (especially for someone like me who never sticked photos before)!
Anirban Halder

HiltonP

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2015, 13:53:48 »
Something different..... Jungfrau, a stitch my wife took with a 1 megapixel videocam in 2003.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Do you have a stitched photo?
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2015, 13:04:28 »
The following shots were stitched with Microsoft ICE.

I was very surprised how well the rough seas stiched in this 2 shot panorama near Nyksund in Vesterålen Northern Norway, from a unstable and drifting rubber boat; two horizontal frames with 105mm f.2.5:

Two-frame stitch of Nyksund from the seaside:

Two shot horizontal fisheye panorama of Nyksund. I found one smaller stitching error, but surprisingly good considering the edge compression of the 10.5mm fisheye:

Another two shot fisheye stitch with less overlap of frames. There are a few duplicated subjects in the foreground near the breakwater on close inspection, and some air wires do not align.

Finally a more technical 2x8 vertical frame stitch of an out of commission altitude chamber at our institute that has now been demolished. Light was low and space very tight as lot of stuff was stored in the room. For this historical shot I only had the on board flash of the D5100, which would cause a shade with the 12-24mm. Thus I opted to try a stitch with my 55mm f/3.5, being able to get even closer. There are a few obvious stitching errors, but considering the handheld situation with variable close range and far from perfect rotating point I was surprised that it went that well.

A non-stiched comparison 10 sec. shot with the tripod mounted 12-24mm, cardboard boxes got in the way:

Øivind Tøien

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2015, 13:28:57 »
Hilton and Øivind - great images!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 11:57:42 »
This community just continues to impress. So many great stitches!
Jørgen Ramskov

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 15:17:33 »
Very nice photos in this thread

Here is one from downtown Guadalajara Mexico

Probably 8 images with the 24-85 zoom @ 24mm f/8

The stitching in PS CC refused to show the lower corner of the cathedral, I had to take a portion of the image that included it and paste it in, with the deformations and adjustments in brightness so it would blend in correctly
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 16:09:12 »
Still enjoying new additions, guys!

Øivind, your fisheye pano looks spectacular!

Armando, I'm speechless to know how you "completed" the cathedral pano!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 16:36:36 »
you might restitch this with a slightly higher center point. Then all the verticals will be parallels...

Not enough pixels do that Frank, so left it as at it is, cool.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 19:08:41 »
Armando. I adore the Architecture shot.

The scene looks so European ...

I feel one  could find a similar lookout in Krakow
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/