Reviews > Reviews by the NG Community

After Two Weeks With The New Nikon 500 f/4E, FL, ED, VR Lens

(1/3) > >>

Nancy Elwood:
Hello to all.  I was fortunate to sell my Nikon 500 f/4 AF-SII, non VR lens shortly after putting it on the market, although it was a great tool for many years, for when Nikon came out with the new FL, lighter 500, I really wanted to update!  I have had the new 500 only for the past few weeks, and it is an incredible piece of kit.  One of the first times out with it, I tried it with and without the Nikon 1.4E III TC, and mostly handholding it.  The weight is of course the biggest difference, plus the balance, excellent for those times you would like to handhold.  This image, which is a 100% crop of a green heron, is with the TC attached to my D810, iso 1600, 1/640, f/8, handheld.  I use a 3 sharpening setting in camera, but no further sharpening was done to this image. Post processed in NX-D. I have also found due to the decrease weight to be able to get a lighter tripod and use a ballhead, instead of my Wimberly head, mostly when travelling by airline and such.  I am in love for sure  :)!!!

elsa hoffmann:
Seriously impressive for a 100% crop.

I agree on the travelling thing - the lighter one can travel - the better. I doesn make a huge difference if one doesnt have to schlep the whole lot with.

John Geerts:
Very impressive detail, indeed.

Mike G:
Nancy superb, but spoiled by your intrusive copyright legend!

Peter Forsell:

--- Quote from: Mike G on September 19, 2015, 09:05:39 ---Nancy superb, but spoiled by your intrusive copyright legend!

--- End quote ---

The legend could be twice as big and it still wouldn't prevent us from seeing the feather detail, which is impressive, for a 100 % crop of a 700 mm shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version