Author Topic: Sports: Swimming  (Read 4056 times)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: Sports: Swimming
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 11:43:11 »
When I was a child I swam to win competitions. My brother too.

Me too ! I was thrown in the pool before even knowing how to walk properly... Those were the times of the Aussies Olympic winners, same age same method.

Gary, those pictures are great, and as you say, show the man vs the element more then the competition... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 21:12:19 »
Me too ! I was thrown in the pool before even knowing how to walk properly... Those were the times of the Aussies Olympic winners, same age same method.

Gary, those pictures are great, and as you say, show the man vs the element more then the competition... :-)

Thank you Jacques.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 21:24:18 »
It is a case of great injustice that a talent like you cannot be rich by his photos.

I feel after all these threads that you are an artist Gulliver robbed by accountant dwarfs.

Sometimes I feel that is true for the state of this whole planet and that the joint creative force should take words like swords
to rip the bureocrats to pieces.

What do you think?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 21:34:23 »
Gary, I just got back from the pool :)
Lovely images.
You make them B&W even in the pool and they look mighty cool :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 02:52:23 »
It is a case of great injustice that a talent like you cannot be rich by his photos.

I feel after all these threads that you are an artist Gulliver robbed by accountant dwarfs.

Sometimes I feel that is true for the state of this whole planet and that the joint creative force should take words like swords
to rip the bureocrats to pieces.

What do you think?

LOL ... I agree with you, I should be rich!   ;)

Most journalists, I know, are not in it for the money, including myself. It's sorta odd, but it's all about the job. Of course, it is always better to make a lot of money doing what you love, as opposed to not making a lot of money doing what you love. The benefits are that I worked relatively independently, free travel, free food (most of the time) and free film.

Personally, I think that Police and Teachers should be amongst the highest paid in our society. 

As to my great 'talent'. When I first started at The Times, it was a changing of the guards. I was the tail end of a rush of young journalists, hired to replace a very aging staff. This was the mid 1970's and I was in my early 20's. The photogs that were retiring still wore suits, sport coats, ties and even hats (like a Trilby). After a few months, the young "smart asses" went back to our blue jeans, Polo Shirts and Adidas.  I remember going to one of the first Times party, a group of us Smart Asses got together at one of the photog's apartment (M.K. Yee). At one point we introduced ourselves and spoke a bit about where we came. One guy came from the Enquirer, which is a movie star and gossip paper and we all had a good laugh. In the end, each and every one of us new dozens of journalists that were better than ourselves ... we all wondered how we were chosen ... we were all very thankful to be at The Times and earning a decent wage.   
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 02:55:54 »
Enjoy the story telling as much as the images, maybe because the stories evoke images as well.
Tim Becraft

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 03:20:30 »
Enjoy the story telling as much as the images, maybe because the stories evoke images as well.

Thank you Tim.