Author Topic: A rainy day in London (image added)  (Read 1922 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
A rainy day in London (image added)
« on: August 28, 2015, 14:21:25 »
The shard is a dramatic sight in any weather, though I don't think it can be described as beautiful.

The second image was grabbed between appointments and downpours.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: A rainy day in London
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 16:27:29 »
Super moody shot. Love it. Rain goes well with Wiskey by the fire place
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Mike G

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 17:26:20 »
Rainy days in London, we've had a few of those in the last few days. I find the Shard a very enigmatic building, which your photo shows admirably, also the converging verticals emphasise that feeling!

I hope you don't mind me posting this view of the Shard also on a rainy day almost exactly a year ago! Most of the processing removed so this is a reposted version

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 17:40:20 »
Thanks, both.

Mike - I did think of contacting you but was only in town for two and a bit days and already had a very full programme. Next time.

Mike G

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 17:43:27 »
Dave that would be so good,  :D

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: A rainy day in London (image added)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 05:47:40 »
I find myself using the word "surreal" too often, but to me, these images carry that feel.  The second image looks a bit over-sharpened, but that might just the matter of my monitor.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:37:58 »
I find myself using the word "surreal" too often, but to me, these images carry that feel.  The second image looks a bit over-sharpened, but that might just the matter of my monitor.

I did use a 2-stage "mid-tone separation" on the second image - it might be that that you are seeing; sharpening was no more than usual. I find London quite surreal most of the time; Tokyo too, sometimes.

Mike G

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 09:27:40 »
Dave the building in your second image has just won the "Carbuncle of the Year", apparently it also melts cars by reflecting a concentrated ray of sunlight inappropriately!

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:27:02 »
Dave the building in your second image has just won the "Carbuncle of the Year", apparently it also melts cars by reflecting a concentrated ray of sunlight inappropriately!

I remember the story about the melting cars - didn't realise it was this building. I think the London skyline has become quite bizarre, and almost unrecognisable as the same city I photographed for two books which I published in the '90s. The new buildings seem to have a lot to do with megalomaniac financiers and developers with massive egos who want "their" building to out-do all the others.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 12:33:29 »
They also have a lot to do with the previous and current mayors (of opposing parties) wanting to increase the business activity and the tax base.  They have certainly changed the skyline, but at least the buildings are dramatic.

The Walkie Talkie is the worst IMHO - as one walks the streets nearby it looms over like a threatening creature from a sci-fi horror movie.
Anthony Macaulay