Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F

(1/5) > >>

Michael Erlewine:
This is not a review. It is too early (in my case) for that, but it is not too early to say a few words and hopefully encourage those of you who also have this lens to share your insights and experience.

I have many lenses and have settled on (for now) the new Zeiss APO series, the Zeiss Otus 55mm APO, the Zeiss Otus 85mm APO, and the earlier Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO Sonnar T*Z5.2, all for the Nikon F-Mount. These are lenses I use when I can, because their output is exceptional in my experience.

However, this leaves the wide-angle end of things wide open, pun intended. Rumor has it that the next Zeiss Otus will be a wide-angle lens, probably the 24mm f/1.4, but no evidence of that so far.

The Nikon wide-angle lenses that I have are not well enough corrected for my taste, and I even have started to get rid of them. I still have the Nikkor 14-24mm Zoom, but I am less enthused about it than I was. Enter the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F.

This Sigma 24mm lens has received high ratings by a number of reviewers, including Lloyd Chambers, so that perked my interest. It also is, at $849, (relatively speaking) inexpensive compared to the competition, so I finally did what I usually do, quite fidgeting over it and just ordered it. I liked that it had a close focus of 9.84” (25 cm), and an almost reasonable focus throw.

I have not had a great deal of time to work it and I still find myself just using Zeiss APOs because I love them, but I managed to squeeze out a little time with the Sigma 24mm ART lens. And the shot posted here was taken in a bit of a hurry for someone who requested it, so I make no claims. Still, the Sigma 24mm does a decent job. It is quite well corrected, sharp enough, and well made. If it lacks anything, it is the superb color the Zeiss APO lenses offer, but I am still chewing on that one.

I have not returned it, which for me says a lot. I believe I will keep it and use it as my wide-angle of choice until Zeiss gets around to producing what I imagine will be a jaw-dropping wide-angle Otus APO.

I am curious what you folks think who have this lens?

This shot taken with the Nikor D810, the Sigma ART 24mm, at f/16 and ISO 64.  The subject is variant of the Solomon's Seal.

Note: Right-Click and select to open image in a new tab for a larger view please.

Michael Erlewine:
Here is a wide-angle snapshot I took of our main river, the Muskegon River. Nikon D810, ISO 64, f/16

Not a great photo, but I wanted to shoot into the sun, etc. Aside from what I don't like about this lens, it does have what I call character, whatever that is to each of us.

Also a image stitched together of our Michigan woodlands this time of year. Same specs as above.

armando_m:
Michael,
thanks for the post

I've been wondering for quite some time what wide angle lens to get

This Sigma is on my list of candidates

pluton:
Michael, did you ever try the Zeiss ZF2 25mm/2?  I had one for a couple years, and it is certainly among the better 'corrected' wide angle lenses available.  Way more $$ than the new Sigma, however.

Michael Erlewine:
I have not tried the Zeiss ZF2 25mm/2, but this Sigma 24mm ART lenses is good enough for me until the real Otus comes along, and I am kind of fussy. I need to work the Sigma some more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version