Author Topic: Missing photos on SD card  (Read 2436 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Missing photos on SD card
« on: July 20, 2015, 06:48:34 »
A photographer in the States had this happen -
LETS ASSUME THIS PHOTOGRAPHER DID NOTHING WRONG - IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?

I photographed an event last weekend (Nikon D800) and the family had quite a few groups shots done after. I did not recall how many groups there were so I edited all the photos and got the photos to my client. She has noticed that some of the group shots that we posed are missing.... here is where it get weird..... I went back to the memory card to see if maybe I missed the transfer or something and all of the memory card numbers are in order with no missing numbers or corrupt files, yet there are some photos missing. (Like the camera flat skipped saving them) Each group had a burst of 3-10 photos taken. ( I have learned from this to check screen after each group now) but once settings have been adjusted for the scene and I know it's correct, I don't look at the back to keep from constantly checking. Any clues or suggestions as to what the issue may be here and if anything can be done?
I don't have it set to preview after each photo
I know the shutter was firing and allowed for 3-8 frames depending on group size. The church was quiet enough to hear the clicks to "think" it was taking.
I ran an image recovery and have the same photos that are on the card running from file 3374-3456. No missing numbers and no partial or corrupt pieces also no other folders were created (along with quite a few old old shoots it salvaged pieces of) smile emoticon
Camera is set to not fire when no card is present
I always leave shots and just delete when editing later to not cause issues.
Could the buffer have possibly had a fault and they just somehow got dumped from the buffer? I do know that earlier in the day I did have to slow a couple shots down to allow buffer to finish writing to the card because I was using the one 60mb\s card that I have. (Rest of stock is 90mb\s and never have to stop for it)
It was a 64GB card and used 12GB of that for RAW+JPEG.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za