Author Topic: Renewing subscriptions  (Read 1384 times)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: Renewing subscriptions
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2024, 10:33:17 »
When the subscription is expired, the name displayed in the top left corner of your own post should turn from orange to brown. 

On my tablet, it looks black rather than brown

However I still think this is a little too subtle Akira
I rarely look out for my own posts

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2024, 10:40:31 »
A sound idea would be adding a « normal » bank account number. With the normalized IBAN account structuring, payments (even international) became very easy. I’m using less and less intermediaries such as credit cards, PayPal and the like, by making straight payments directly from one of my bank accounts.

Automatic renewals are a definite NO GO for me.
I was thinking about that too but the country of origin of the NG account is important. It is indeed straightforward within EU with no transaction fee added, but it can be different outside EU. For example the transaction fee to UK from Belgium is prohibitive for small amounts. I also once did a transfer to a (small) bank account in US and it was a nightmare to do.
Bruno Schröder

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2024, 19:26:52 »
On my tablet, it looks black rather than brown

However I still think this is a little too subtle Akira

I don't think it is as effective as, say, the notification message either.  But it is better than nothing at least, and I use the function to make sure if the subscription is in effect.

I was thinking about that too but the country of origin of the NG account is important. It is indeed straightforward within EU with no transaction fee added, but it can be different outside EU. For example the transaction fee to UK from Belgium is prohibitive for small amounts. I also once did a transfer to a (small) bank account in US and it was a nightmare to do.

I'm not against the Christian's suggestion, but the same goes with the transaction from Japan through my Japanese bank account.  The imposed fee is violently expensive compared to PayPal.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2024, 20:14:22 »
My alternative might not work in every situation / country. From Switzerland most international transactions are settled for 1 CHF / €. Counterparties might have to pay hefty transaction fees in connection with credit cards. Simply proposing the aforementioned alternative.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2024, 20:25:57 »
...However I still think this is a little too subtle Akira

Could the forum software be convinced to display the user name in the upper right corner of the screen with a color indicating the supporter status?
Then it would be easier to keep track of the supporter status without looking at own posts.
Øivind Tøien

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2024, 12:31:23 »
Could the forum software be convinced to display the user name in the upper right corner of the screen with a color indicating the supporter status?
Then it would be easier to keep track of the supporter status without looking at own posts.
Good idea.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2024, 13:21:15 »
The 'User online' footing on the forum page shows this information already.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2024, 21:36:11 »
... I know some people created idle secondary acounts just to circumvent Birna's reluctance to raise prices.

Didn't know about that, great suggestion ;)
Hans Cremers

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2024, 22:12:07 »
Birna's message today was the first time I thought to check mine.
I'd had no reminder that mine was overdue and nothing was collected automatically.
I wonder if this part of the issue with having enough paid supporters?

It would be helpful to know why it works for some but not for others. I set it up 9 years ago and did not touch it scince
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2024, 00:41:00 »
Perhaps it was because the credit card which was associated with the account became outdated or was changed?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2024, 00:34:47 »
Perhaps it was because the credit card which was associated with the account became outdated or was changed?

nope. it is Paypal and my credit card changedUpdate: I just checked that in Paypal there is a subscription corresponding to the subscription in the NikonGear Settings.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/