Author Topic: Nikkor 17-55 F2.8 Lens Aperture Problem  (Read 908 times)

Paul.S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikkor 17-55 F2.8 Lens Aperture Problem
« on: November 03, 2023, 14:55:36 »
I cannot seem to get my 17-55 lens to stop down. Using my D2h outdoors at anything higher than F4 blows highlights terribly. I decided to send it to Nikon Service in NY only to discover that I have a non US serial number and the will not touch it. I purchased it second hand a few years ago. If I hold the DOF preview button, the blades close. However, they stay open when taking the picture. I can get it to work if I hold the DOF preview button while snapping the shutter but that may not be a good idea. No oil on the blades that I can see. Other service options other than Nikon? Thank you.  Paul

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikkor 17-55 F2.8 Lens Aperture Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 15:57:56 »
1. Verify the aperture stop-down lever on the lens is straight and can move freely without binding or sticking.

2. Ditto, on the camera.

3. Clean the lens contacts.

4. If the above fails to solve the issue, look for local camera repair shops.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 18:22:46 »
send it to me over the border and lets see what i can do :o :o :o

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 19:24:28 »
I cannot seem to get my 17-55 lens to stop down. Using my D2h outdoors at anything higher than F4 blows highlights terribly. I decided to send it to Nikon Service in NY only to discover that I have a non US serial number and the will not touch it. I purchased it second hand a few years ago. If I hold the DOF preview button, the blades close. However, they stay open when taking the picture. I can get it to work if I hold the DOF preview button while snapping the shutter but that may not be a good idea. No oil on the blades that I can see. Other service options other than Nikon? Thank you.  Paul

It is very strange that because the lens is not purchased in US then Nikon Service in US will not repair it.
To me this seems not logical.
Can somebody explain me why?

It was my impression that Nikon had world wide service but that seems not to be the case.

Is it because they are angry that the lens is purchased outside US so merchant in US did not get the money and then the owner of the lens is "punished"?

It is probably the same if the lens was still under warranty then they would also refuse?
No world wide warranty for Nikon?

I would write to Nikon Japan and complain (assume you have an email as proof?).

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 23:25:33 »
There is worldwide warranty for Nikon lenses if you have the original purchase receipt and it was purchased from a retailer who received it from the official importer in that country.

Paul.S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 14:25:25 »
The D2H camera is fine. The 18-200 VR works without issue. I do not have another camera to test the 17-55 but after going through Birna'a list, I can find nothing wrong. Interestingly, when you send to Nikon USA, I had to fill out a form with the serial number before I could get a reply to ship. I would have hoped that the serial number would have been flagged prior to getting the go ahead. So I end up paying for shipping both ways for no work accomplished. I purchased the 17-55 second hand off Craigslist and tested it before buying. It never occurred to me to check the serial number. Paul

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 15:39:23 »
All of my current Nikon gear was purchased second hand.  Most of it is officially imported Nikon gear but that doesn't seem to matter to Nikon USA.  I've resigned myself to considering it all disposable when/if it breaks or trying to track down an independent repair shop.  I have no plans to buy any new Nikon gear--used stuff is readily available and relatively cheap.  I don't actually need or want anything new but, if I did, I would avoid buying Nikon for the Nikon USA attitude toward customers.

Off soap box.  Sorry for the rant...not really.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 06:31:08 »
well...i am taking apart one of these and i can confirm how much of a pain the iris is ::)
there are many similar reports on the internet, the main cause is the overengineered iris mechanism. it is the most complicated one i have ever worked on, with nonsense features that appear to be dampers. :o :o :o
the tolerances are very tight, even a small amount of moisture or oil will make it sluggish, this is super stupid, you will see why in my review.

PS: with all my might, i am not even able to get it to work perfectly