Author Topic: At dusk with the 35/2.8 PC  (Read 3022 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: At dusk with the 35/2.8 PC
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2023, 23:54:08 »
Nice color!  I also like the mild and right intensity of the star burst that the lens shows when stopped down.

I wonder if the IBIS work properly when the lens is shifted?
Starburst quality: it seems to be a characteristic of this lens. Not expected, but welcome.
IBIS: apparently yes, it works properly, but 1/15s is not that slow. I should have tried 1/4s which would be more of a challenge.
Airy Magnien

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2023, 00:50:00 »
1/15s is slow for a 28mm lens hand-held. In my experience it is better not to ask too much of IBIS (or VR in the lens) and enjoy the result. Although I fully understand pushing one's luck  8)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2023, 01:00:10 »
The 35mm
Starburst quality: it seems to be a characteristic of this lens. Not expected, but welcome.
All the old 28mm and 35mm PC lenses have 9 aperture blades (except for the 35/3.5 PC which has only 6), and they all have dead straight aperture blades - perfect for creating well defined starbursts.

In my limited experience with PC lenses, horizontal shifts do not affect exposure so there is no need to meter manually before shifting. Vertical shifts change the angle at which the light reaches the light meter in SLR cameras, this causes an incorrect reading so exposure before shifting is needed.

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2023, 04:26:38 »
Airy, DFC5871.jpg is fantastic! 

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2023, 07:47:36 »
1/15s is slow for a 28mm lens hand-held. In my experience it is better not to ask too much of IBIS (or VR in the lens) and enjoy the result. Although I fully understand pushing one's luck  8)
It is the 35mm. I'd go much lower and take several shots - with a 50mm, 1/8s is quite OK and 1/4s is getting dangerous (maybe one out or three). No other choice when shooting nice organs in dark churches, sometimes, even though high ISO and AI-assisted denoising have enormously improved.
Airy Magnien

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2023, 07:40:16 »
Now for a nighttime shot. Using this PC lens with the Zf (or other mirrorless) is ridiculously easy:
  • no need to set exposure manually before shifting
  • the artificial horizon helps keeping the camera horizontal while shifting. I seldom use tripods even with PC lenses, but the camera makes tripods nearly superfluous
  • I vastly prefer the screw system of the old PC lenses compared to the new ones: it can be used one-handed, no need for blocking
Result is shifted street shots, with the slow speed (1/15) partly blurring the passers-by. Once again, the lens behaves well at night, and the sunstars add a touch (must have been f/5.6).
Yes, great to use on mirrorless.

The night rendition is beautiful of this lens and can be compared with the also brilliant 28mm 2.8 Ai-S  lens.