Author Topic: Lichen focus-stacked  (Read 630 times)

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
Lichen focus-stacked
« on: October 19, 2023, 19:37:13 »
Two pictures of the lichen Xanthoria parietina at 3.4x enlargement. The pictures are stacked from 91 images resp. 135 images. Images made with a Z7 II, a 85mm f/1.8 S, a Nikon PB-4 bellows, the Novoflex retro adapter (to transfer lens information etc.), and the relatively new Castel-M focusing rail w/ Focus wheel and indexing steps (see the setup in the 3rd picture).
Kim

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Lichen focus-stacked
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 19:44:27 »
Whilst your efforts are applauded, I personally would have used a different lens. The 85/1.8 Z doesn't like extension too much.

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 19:53:13 »
Whilst your efforts are applauded, I personally would have used a different lens. The 85/1.8 Z doesn't like extension too much.
Thanks Birna. Yes, I remember you said that about the 85/1.8 Z before - however, I wanted to try it out. But which Z lenses are better with extension?
Kim

Geert

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 20:34:26 »
Hello Kim,

I suggest you bring up the subject with Allan Walls. See https://www.allanwallsphotography.com/
He also has a live talk on youtube twice a week where you are free to ask questions and do suggestions. Just enter his name in the search box of youtube and you'll find his channel instantly.
He's a very friendly, humble and knowledgeable guy when it comes to macro and bellows photography.

kind regards
Geert

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 20:54:30 »
If magnifications in the 2.5-5X range are desired, the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 is an excellent choice. The lens is quite small and neat  and can be had in native Z-mount. It is not expensive either.

Most Z lenses do not like added extension, not even the 105 MC. The Voigtländer 65mm f/2 APO can tolerate extension but only up to 1:1 life-size.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 21:51:31 »
If magnifications in the 2.5-5X range are desired, the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 is an excellent choice. The lens is quite small and neat  and can be had in native Z-mount. It is not expensive either.

Most Z lenses do not like added extension, not even the 105 MC. The Voigtländer 65mm f/2 APO can tolerate extension but only up to 1:1 life-size.

How about reverse-mounting wideangles like the 24/1.8 or 24-50 zoom?  The Novoflex should allow that.  The bellows extension could be much shorter.  Just the speculation, though...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 10:37:29 »
Thanks for your comments and the suggestions about options for higher than 1-2x photography. I know about them, and also have other more suitable lenses myself (just not at hand in the summer cottage). I first made a try with the Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 AFS and the TC-20E resulting in 2x magnification. The result was pretty bad. I then tried the 85mm/1.8 Z which was much better, but not really excellent, as Birna points out.

I find the Novoflex Castel-M with presets for 2x, 3x, 4x, and 5x magnification very useful and precise, if you do not want to use an electronic rail.
Kim

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 13:30:14 »
Most Z lenses do not like added extension, not even the 105 MC.

I'm curious Birna, it sounds like in the area of working with extension or bellows, Z lenses have a slight disadvantage compared to the previous F mount ones? (Notwithstanding all their other plus points)

If magnifications in the 2.5-5X range are desired, the Laowa is available in Z mount

I guess the prime purpose of these was originally directly attached to the camera body. Are bellows etc available with Z mounts now, or are you still using adapters when you want to use these with extension?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2023, 15:13:03 »
Most of my medium magnification work (1-5X)  is done with Z7 and lenses without bellows extension. like the Laowa 25/2.8 already mentioned, or Nikon Scanner ED optics, or my old Olympus 38m f/2.8. Bellows offer no significant advantage for the Z system in this range.

For higher magnification (5-40X) I mostly use the various Mitutoyo metallurgical objectives for infinity tubes.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 09:41:10 »
... Z lenses have a slight disadvantage compared to the previous F mount ones? (Notwithstanding all their other plus points)

As always, all unit focusing lenses does well with extension. (For instance  Ai/Ais Micro Nikkor F-mount lenses)Use the great old manual focus lenses for such applications. Or the new Micro Nikkor Z lenses without extension.  All the lenses with floating elements and or CRC, close range correction suffer with extension, some lenses more than other.
All the new Z lenses has these floating elements, since they are more easy to to move and control due to much less weight to move around for the tiny AF systems.
Erik Lund

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 15:52:53 »
Thanks Birna and Eric - this makes sense.