Author Topic: NG'23: report bugs here !!  (Read 3113 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: NG'23: report bugs here !!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2023, 07:58:13 »
Oh well, that means there is upstream caching by intermediaries.

Can you ping the site? The IP should be 213.165.231.87. nslookup should return 'vps96824.inmotionhosting.com'. Then do a tracert to see what the end point is. It should be nikongear.* (.net/.com/.org; all are equivalent as the root domain, but only .net will work as the forum foundation).

As a last resort, update your HOSTS file with the following entry

213.165.231.87  nikongear.net www.nikongear.net

Notepad or similar editor can be used. This file is usually found at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and you need to run the update in a command window with administrative privilege. If there is no HOSTS file you must create it, but do note it should not have any file extension, just 'HOSTS'.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2023, 08:49:33 »
Thanks Birna,   indeed, it were the HOSTS files of the PC's which were entered with the hard (old) IP address  (December 2019).  Now it works :) 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2023, 09:07:24 »
These systems do have an invincible logic. Which is sometimes fallible given humans defined it :)

Good on you. Try commenting out the entry in the hosts file by adding # in front and see whether the computer still resolves the correct IP.

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Supporter
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2023, 18:36:39 »
I followed your instructions as outlined in reply 20, but no luck. I have read your exchanges with John Geerts but it’s been quite a while since I pinged a site and am not sure what actually goes in the address field and what the follow-up should be. Your response to him is unclear to me. As evidenced by this reply, I still can communicate via my iPhone, which is not optimal but it is all I’ve got. It seems the answer is not simple (at least for me and my limited capacity for such things). Thanks for trying!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2023, 20:47:23 »
If you are on Windows: open a command window (Start > Run > cmd , hit <enter>, then type in at the command prompt as follows   ping nikongear.net <enter>. The response should be some lines with arcane messages containing the IP address 213.165.231.87. If you get a different answer, then that is the culprit and cause of your issues.

Like this;

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Supporter
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2023, 20:54:59 »
Unfortunately, I have Apple computers. After I take a few restorative breathes, I’ll do an internet search and see what I can find.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2023, 22:34:27 »
From a 'net search,

"Mac or Apple: Press the Command key and the A key at the same time. Open the Utilities folder. Open the Terminal app. Type "ping" followed by the destination — either an IP address or a domain name, then press Enter."

Terminate with Control + C.

Linux users do likewise in a terminal window.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2023, 22:56:33 »
These systems do have an invincible logic. Which is sometimes fallible given humans defined it :)

Good on you. Try commenting out the entry in the hosts file by adding # in front and see whether the computer still resolves the correct IP.
That works too.  Fully connected now ;)

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Supporter
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2023, 23:46:58 »
From a 'net search,

"Mac or Apple: Press the Command key and the A key at the same time. Open the Utilities folder. Open the Terminal app. Type "ping" followed by the destination — either an IP address or a domain name, then press Enter."

Terminate with Control + C.

Linux users do likewise in a terminal window.

Thanks Birna!