Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Optical brightening agents (OBA)

<< < (2/2)

Ian Watson:

--- Quote from: Erik Lund on April 18, 2023, 10:58:16 ---Please remember; Everything is impermanent...

--- End quote ---

Wise words.

Dogman:
I'm not printing right now since my second expensive Epson photo printer stopped transporting paper (same thing happened to the first) and I'm reluctant to buy another.  However, I did print for several years and I researched a lot before settling on papers, inks, etc.

According to what I read from Wilhelm (THE source of longevity testing at the time), prints made on high rag content matte papers (called "art" or "fine art" papers by manufacturers) with pigment inks had a projected lifespan even longer than archival processed and printed black and white photographs using chemicals in a wet darkroom.  There were several further stipulations concerning storage, display, etc., but the basics were always the same.  So that's what I used--cotton rag papers and pigment inks.  Oddly enough, the use of pigments on rag papers is an old process used by artists centuries past and it was still holding up today.

As far as OBAs are concerned, they were not considered archival so I didn't buy papers that contained them.  However, some sources said the only factor to consider when using those types of papers was that the bright whites of the paper would probably fade over time leaving all other attributes intact.  In other words, the print might look less bright but would still be archival.  I haven't kept up with the discussion recently so I don't know if new research has been conducted.

Ian Watson:
Thank you. I will take a look at the rag papers. Since I am looking for new papers anyway, I may as well avoid OBAs.

That's rotten luck with your Epsons! My Canon probably has not seen as much use as you gave them but it is still trucking along nicely.

Dogman:
I'm considering a Canon for a future purchase. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version