Author Topic: Nikkor Ai 50/2 vs Ai/AiS 50/1.8 vs 60/2.8 vs 55/2.8 100% resolution test(Round2)  (Read 2251 times)

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
final picture of 50/2 ai

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
The old Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 is hard to beat in a setup like the one you did. It's a very nice universal lens only drawbacks, in some situations, are relatively long focus throw and light gathering.
Compared to non-macro lenses like the 50/1.8, the focus throw to the same distance is shorter, but I find it adequate. The focus throw is much longer than that found on the AF and AFS 60mm macro lenses.

The 55/2.8 can suffer from flare when the sun is inside or just outside the frame, but the deeply recessed front element protects it from flare in most situations. The bokeh can be harsh so some care needs to be taken with backgrounds. Otherwise, the 55/2.8 is a very good standard lens. In most cases f/2.8 is fast enough, and the ability to focus closer than normal is very useful. I used this lens a lot when travelling and hiking due to its small size, light weight, good optical properties and versatility.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
,,, The focus throw is much longer than that found on the AF and AFS 60mm macro lenses.

Thank you for the confirmation on focus throw!
I use it for Infrared photography as well and I find the Bokeh quite good in most situations.
Flare and especially hotspot pattern is more pronounced in this version f/2.8
The older f/3.5 it's a bit better regarding hot spot and flare resistance in Infrared when stopped down. Must be something to do with the coatings and reflections of the aperture blades since the optical layout is almost identical for most of these versions of the 55mm.
Erik Lund

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user

Thank you for the confirmation on focus throw!
I use it for Infrared photography as well and I find the Bokeh quite good in most situations.
Flare and especially hotspot pattern is more pronounced in this version f/2.8
The older f/3.5 it's a bit better regarding hot spot and flare resistance in Infrared when stopped down. Must be something to do with the coatings and reflections of the aperture blades since the optical layout is almost identical for most of these versions of the 55mm.

55/2.8 and 55/3.5, they have different optic design

f2.8 is gauss type, and f3.5's rear group is xenotar

https://imaging.nikon.com/imaging/information/story/0085/

personally I think 55/2.8's bokeh is good, not as bad as typical gauss type lens

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Main problem areas with the 55/2.8  Micro-Nikkor are firstly, a propensity to get lubrication leaking onto the aperture blades thus making the iris sticky or in worst case, not operating at all; and  secondly, it flares badly in some contra light situations, even when visible flare is avoided, there is a pronounced lowering of contrast.

I discarded two defective samples of the 55/2.8 before I got a good one. Bought in Copenhagen by the way, on one of my visits to Erik. Thus the 55/2.8 promptly was CPU-modified and operational a few hours after the purchase :).

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
Main problem areas with the 55/2.8  Micro-Nikkor are firstly, a propensity to get lubrication leaking onto the aperture blades thus making the iris sticky or in worst case, not operating at all;  :).

yes, I once had one with this issue, and I have to learn how to maintainance  ;D