Author Topic: Thoughts on Nikkor 85mm f2 AI-S  (Read 4285 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Thoughts on Nikkor 85mm f2 AI-S
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2022, 02:45:33 »
In the same picture, the situation reverses towards the outer parts of the image. The 85/2 has more even rendition across the frame while the 85/1.8 is sharper centrally but softer towards the corners. That's shooting a relatively flat subject. The 85/1.8 may have more field curvature so may be better than my test shows when photographing a 3D subject.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2022, 03:03:03 »
Here is a final comparison near infinity. Again, the AIS 85/2 is first, the K 85/1.8 is second. Here both lenses perform similarly wide open in terms of sharpness, but in high contrast the 85/1.8 shows a little more flare and purple fringing.

The differences between the two lenses disappear rapidly on stopping down. Even by f/2.8 it is difficult to tell the difference between them. The flare that is evident wide open is largely gone and there is a boost to resolution. I prefer the 85/2 lens, the 85/1.8 is heavier and bulkier and the 1/3 difference is speed doesn't make any practical difference to me. I also prefer the 7-blade aperture of the 85/2, it looks more organic than the hexagonal opening of the 85/1.8 (why Nikon retained the 6-blade aperture for the K version is a mystery, both the 28/3.5 and 24/2.8 were both upgraded to 7 aperture blades with the K version, you'd think that a portrait lens like the 85/1.8 would have more attention given to the background rendition)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2022, 06:06:16 »
I have learned so many things about the lens, thanks guys. From what I remember, the lens is pretty good wide open at portrait distances. It is not so good wide open at longer distances, though. I did not use it quite often, so I might try it again at f2.

Gerhard2006

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2023, 22:37:31 »
I loved this lens for a number of years because of its small size end it’s nice rendering of portraits. Eventually I sold it and bought an 85 1.8 AF lens which has a nine bladed aperture so the out of focus highlights look much better on this lens than the 85F2. It was my first auto focus lens before I even had an auto focus camera. I still use the AF 85 1.8 on my D 700 and it focusses in very little light and I think it’s a little bit sharper than the 85 F2 . The out of focus highlights from 2.8 onward really show the aperture blades on this older lens which this reviewer points out from Denmark. He also mentions that the bokeh of the 85 1.8 AFS is nicer but sun stars from the 85 F2 are nicer. So take your pick, every lens is a different tool in your bag. Like my 135 F2 Ais lens which is soft below 10’ at close distances but very sharp beyond 10’ with beautiful bokeh. Like having 2 lenses in one. There are other Nikkors that also exhibit this character. Interesting thread thanks for sharing. Regards Gerry