Gear Talk > Lens Talk

A mini story about a mini-wide...

(1/4) > >>

Zang:
A couple of years ago, I found an online ad from a gentleman who wanted to give away a vintage film camera. I was lucky enough to be the winner who picked the camera up. It turned out that the camera was owned by the man's late father who died in 1988. He kept his dad's camera for many years before decided it needs a new home. The camera was brand new and based on the model's name, it was released to the market in 1985. That means the father did not have a chance to enjoy it for too long. On another hand, the lens - Sigma Mini-Wide 28mm f2.8 - was old and was not functioning well. I put the camera in my office as an display item and it had been there for the last few years. Today, I decided to take the lens apart for cleaning, hopping to bring it back to its wonderful life. After a couple of hours, the lens is back in one piece, fresh, clean and functioning smoothly like it just left the production line yesterday. It turned out to be a wonderful performer. The papers are my notes on how to reassemble the lens back.

Hugh_3170:
"He who dares wins" is an apt quote for your well executed success.  Kudos Zang.

--- Quote from: Zang on November 26, 2022, 02:57:08 ---A couple of years ago, I found an online ad from a gentleman who wanted to give away a vintage film camera. I was lucky enough to be the winner who picked the camera up. It turned out that the camera was owned by the man's late father who died in 1988. He kept his dad's camera for many years before decided it needs a new home. The camera was brand new and based on the model's name, it was released to the market in 1985. That means the father did not have a chance to enjoy it for too long. On another hand, the lens - Sigma Mini-Wide 28mm f2.8 - was old and was not functioning well. I put the camera in my office as an display item and it had been there for the last few years. Today, I decided to take the lens apart for cleaning, hopping to bring it back to its wonderful life. After a couple of hours, the lens is back in one piece, fresh, clean and functioning smoothly like it just left the production line yesterday. It turned out to be a wonderful performer. The papers are my notes on how to reassemble the lens back.

--- End quote ---

Zang:
Thanks Hugh :) Have a nice weekend!

Hugh_3170:
You too.  May your team win.

Zang:

--- Quote from: Hugh_3170 on November 26, 2022, 09:38:41 ---You too.  May your team win.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Hugh! :)

My quick test (on APSC) showed Mini Wide outperforming Nikkor AIS 28/2.8 at longer distances at 5.6 and wider. Close up, Nikkor edges Mini Wide a bit but it is hardly noticeable. Quite surprising to me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version