Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Frustrated - NX Studio vs. ACR

(1/2) > >>

Frode:
Hi,

I prefer using NX Studio for my PP, due to the colors I get (YMMV of course). And I'd still like to "stay" there :-).

Though;

I experience that highlights that is burned out in NX Studio/also blinkies in camera - Z9 (which also are beyond fixable there), I can easily "repair" in ACR.

Can anyone tell me why?

Of course, sometimes one has to prioritize (highlights vs. shadows etc.), but until now I`ve always "stretched" the highlights 1/3- 2/3 (when using high iso) of a EV and been able to adjust the EV in PP. I'm aware of the lower DR when using high iso :-).

Best regards

Ilkka Nissilä:
I believe the blinkies are shown when the JPG has a blown-out green channel (or R G B channel that the user selects), but the raw file may have still some range in the highlights, depending on the curve and settings that are used to make the JPG.

Frode:

--- Quote from: Ilkka Nissilä on November 07, 2022, 12:12:51 ---I believe the blinkies are shown when the JPG has a blown-out green channel (or R G B channel that the user selects), but the raw file may have still some range in the highlights, depending on the curve and settings that are used to make the JPG.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the blinkies shows the jpeg values.

What I don’t understand is that it seems I can recover a lot more «burned out» (of course, they’re not actually burned out, but the raw has some more «headroom» than the jpeg) highlights with ACR.

Frode:

--- Quote from: Ilkka Nissilä on November 07, 2022, 12:12:51 ---I believe the blinkies are shown when the JPG has a blown-out green channel (or R G B channel that the user selects), but the raw file may have still some range in the highlights, depending on the curve and settings that are used to make the JPG.

--- End quote ---

Frustrating, because due to user error (wrong exposure settings) I've got to use the ACR instead of the NX Studio.

Frode:
ACR exposure reduced by 3 EV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version