Gear Talk > Camera Talk

What's The BEST Nikon Body for Manual Focusing Lenses?

<< < (2/4) > >>

BruceSD:
Thanks Roland and golunvolo!   

I think I'll be selling my older Nikon DSLRs and will stick to using my many manual focus fast lenses on my Z6.

Ian Watson:
My reply assumed that you preferred a solution for a DSLR. I fell in love with my Z6 for manual focus and would never go back.

To quote a line from Ghostbusters, "You're never gonna regret this..."

8)

mxbianco:

--- Quote from: Roland Vink on November 03, 2022, 20:42:00 ---A lot of people like using the Z cameras with manual focus lenses. The ability of the viewfinder to magnify the image, and/or focus peaking, and a brighter image in darker conditions should make accurate focusing easier.

If you want to stay with F-mount cameras, the Df is known for having a good viewfinder screen for manual focus lenses. The lower resolution is a good match for many older manual lenses, and likely hides small focus errors which would be apparent on higher resolution cameras.

The D780 has live view similar to the Z6 camera. You would have to focus using the rear LCD, so not very practical. The optical viewfinder is probably not much different from other DSLRs.

No direct experience with any of these options though...

--- End quote ---

I quote every word of your statement, add to it that LiveView is a pain if you're farsighted (like myself), and have to resort to eyeglasses to be able to see anything on the LCD... Besides, LiveView is unfeasible in strong to extreme lighting (snow/ice, for example).

I like the Df, and use many AF lenses in MF, the DC105/2 for example. But on my Z6, the DC105 (MF mode only, it's a screwdriver lens) works wonders with 100% zoom on request.

Z series has changed the ball game entirely, for accurate focussing it is unbeatable.

Ciao from Massimo

Birna Rørslett:

--- Quote from: mxbianco on November 04, 2022, 08:45:42 ---.....

Z series has changed the ball game entirely, for accurate focussing it is unbeatable.

--- End quote ---

Provided there is enough light present to avoid a grainy, noisy EVF and the lens isn't a [ultra]wide-angle and has sufficient lens "speed". Otherwise the OVF is better, at least my experience with very wide lenses on the Df indicates so.

Dogman:
The thing is, most people forget that in ye olde manual focus days we missed focus a lot and sharpness wasn't as important as content at the time.  We're kinda spoiled for razor sharpness with today's lenses and resolution of the sensors. 

I'm not a sports or action photographer.  Most of my subjects are stationary and most of the time I depend on the green dot to confirm focus with my Nikon DSLRs.  The green dot is not totally reliable but it's helpful and it can get me in the ballpark when I'm fumbling focus.  It's only okay on the D700 and D610 but it's pretty good on the D800 and D810.  I've never used a Z-camera so I can't compare.  My use of other camera's EVFs for manual focusing has been hit or miss, mostly miss.  Using my Fuji X-Pro bodies with MF lenses and focus peaking in bright daylight can be frustrating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version