Author Topic: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.  (Read 27783 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2023, 07:55:53 »

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2023, 07:59:54 »
I did notice my 50/1.8Z can handle added extension much better than the 85/1.8Z, the latter develops visible amounts of spherical aberration, coma, loss of contrast and curvature of field. It's best to not go beyond the 11mm extension with this lens. This neatly illustrates a point I made made many times over the years: extension does impact mage quality and always in a negative manner, despite there is no glass inside. However, the carefully designed operational parameters of these advanced lenses are upset by the extension, and some lenses do respond very badly to this practice. Some lenses do better fortunately, but the outcome never is *improved* by added extension. Keep this frequently overlooked in mind -- always.

It's a pity that the 85/1.8Z works so badly with extension tubes. Would it be even worse with diopters? Apart from the 50/1.8Z, are there other of the Z lenses that can handle extension well?
Kim

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Hugh Gunn

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2023, 22:17:37 »
Has anyone been able to figure out the differences between the Megadap and Techart when it comes to accurate IBIS? For both adapters I have read conflicting accounts whether ibis really works as it should.

I read that the Techart only tells the camera it’s a 50mm lens, whereas although the Megadap can set lens mm in exit data, it is not accurately reflected in ibis settings. But, who knows?!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2023, 14:11:36 »
It's a pity that the 85/1.8Z works so badly with extension tubes. Would it be even worse with diopters? Apart from the 50/1.8Z, are there other of the Z lenses that can handle extension well?

As always, all unit focusing lenses does well with extension.
Use the great old manual focus lenses for such applications. Or the new Micro Nikkor Z lenses without extension.  All the lenses with floating elements and or CRC, close range correction suffer with extension, some lenses more than other.
All the new Z lenses has these floating elements, since they are more easy to to move and control due to much less wight to move around for the tiny AF systems.
Erik Lund