Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Getting into Printing Project / Artistic shyness

(1/3) > >>

RobOK:
I am going to print, frame, and hang three large prints, either ones that I have or yet to take. I have a large format Epson (that hasn't been used in a decade), I will use that or more likely get printed by a printer.

My style of photography is mostly at family events, social gatherings, travel, and some street. People like my images, especially family portraits.

When I look through my collection, the voice in my head says "that's not good enough". I think if I start printing even 8.5 x 11s more regularly, i will get more comfortable with what I like or what looks good. I feel a bit intimidated by printing big.

So, not a specific request, but if people have been in similar situation of making some larger prints.... what do you look for in picking images for printing? I will have some theme for the three pictures, but as yet I don't know what. Timeline for me is open, say next 2-6 months.

Thanks,
Rob.

pluton:
If the Epson printer can still be used, making a few prints on cheaper, smaller paper is a good way to get back into thinking about prints, and how images are perceived through prints instead of on LCD screens.  Good luck with your old printer.  Sometimes they still work, sometimes not.

RobOK:
Thanks for the support @pluton! If I get time this weekend I am going to try it out. I replaced the waste ink cartridge (forget the official name), probably will need to do some ink jet cleaning too!

Akira:
I just watched this YouTube channel.  The ink jet print should be handy to decide if the candidate image is worth printing large.  And then the C-Type print seems to be worth considering for the final large print.  The explanation starts at 23:33:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7vTIyRcSZI

pluton:
In the video, the personality arguing for Type C didn't mention that all Type C papers are resin coated.  Also, for some reason he didn't mention that Type C prints are guaranteed to fade if exposed to light (displayed in a room).  IMO inkjet --- with pigment ink---is way better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version