Author Topic: Manual telephoto/zoom lenses without infra-red correction  (Read 625 times)

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Manual telephoto/zoom lenses without infra-red correction
« on: December 17, 2022, 00:02:11 »
Hi,

I was wondering which of the manual era Nikkors had correction extending up to infra-red - thus requiring no correction in focus.

I think the pre IF 300mm f4.5 ED was one of those lenses.
Any others? Was the 180-600mm also corrected thus?

Regards

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Manual telephoto/zoom lenses without infra-red correction
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 07:12:22 »
I don't know which might be, but I have two you can scratch from the search.  The 400/5.6ED (the pre-IF one) definitely requires correction.  The dot on the 500/4P is so tiny and dim that if you don't have the instructions to tell you to use it you might miss it.  But it's there.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 09:04:52 »
According to this revew, the non-IF 300/4.5 ED is well corrected for IR, but performs poorly at distant scenes.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

That said, as you would already know, the amount of focus shift will vary significantly according to the wavelength of IR.  For example, the amount of focus shift with a 900nm IR-pass filter on my Nikkor 28/3.5 required almost twice as much amount of compensation as a 720nm filter did, measured by the rotation angle of the focus ring.

So, the correction may not help depending on the density of the IR filter.  Of course, with a mirrorless body, such a concern is non-existent.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 10:01:25 »
The 400/5.6 IF-ED also has a red dot.

The mirror lenses has no red dot. Some call them a poor-mans ED or APO lens. Don't know how they perform with IR.

Zeiss made for Hasselblad two tele lenses they called "Super-Achromat". A 250mm and a 350mm. With adapter they will work on a Nikon body.
Maybe they are cheap on ebay?

I remember Hasselblad wrote that even if light is IR or UV no focus compensation was needed on the focus screen.

Not very cheap but not impossible to get either:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304582604379

Older versions exists which are probably much cheaper.

I wonder how well corrected the new Z-teles are?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 10:10:10 »
The older 250mm is this one:
https://www.clubhasselblad.com/museum/special-zeiss-sonnar-superachromat-156250mm-lens

I remember the MTF-lines for this lens looked very nice.
Many years ago I was close to buy a used one as I had a Nikon adapter for it and I also had a Hasselblad body.
Used price at that time was abut $3000

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear