Author Topic: Does infinity calibration always need to be that hard?  (Read 252 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Does infinity calibration always need to be that hard?
« on: August 01, 2022, 14:32:18 »
I found infinity calibration very cumbersome and here is why. First, I need to fully assemble the lens with infinity being passed to be able to pinpoint it. Then I need to disassemble the lens, sometimes almost completely, to be able to adjust. I don't think there is a way around that. Second, I need to find a fairly far object to test the infinity. Believe me, it is not simple in my case :) In my location, I need to drive from home a bit to have a good testing terrain.

I was thinking about (and I actually tried) calibrating using the shorter distances but I don't think that is accurate and I still rely on calibrating real infinity. What is your experience working with infinity calibration?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Does infinity calibration always need to be that hard?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 04:34:46 »
“Real infinity” is pretty far away. How about calibrating using the moon?

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 16:28:06 »
%u201CReal infinity%u201D is pretty far away. How about calibrating using the moon?

I know, real infinity is not far nor near, it is nowhere LOL

The moon is currently only 10% and comes out low and late, but yes, it is my favorite calibration tool!

SLR

• PC(e) Nikkor
  • NG Member
  • Fabulous gear...Lack of Talent
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 02:37:48 »
I have learned that infinity is at a factor 1000 x focal length, with a 50mm lens that would be : 1000 x 50mm = 50 mtr.....unless specialized lenses are at play, such as macro lenses.
Kodak SlrN..D1..D1x..D3S..D3x..PC(E) Nikkors with assorted Lenses Always have Filters mounted ...and Clean the Sensors on the fly.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 14:30:14 »
I have learned that infinity is at a factor 1000 x focal length, with a 50mm lens that would be : 1000 x 50mm = 50 mtr.....unless specialized lenses are at play, such as macro lenses.

What you are telling is interesting, but I think the relation might not be linear. The distance resolution of my Nikkor 180mm f2.8 is far beyond 200m!